Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vilandra

I Need Some Compositing Help.

Ok, ill try to explain this without taking all day.....

I have a scene of my city sitting on the ocean. The camera will be animated flying backwards starting from the center of the city, and stopping way out at sea. Here is the problem im having...

Instead of rendering out the entire scene (resulting in one image sequence), I wanted to render it out in sections so that I could add a ramping haze effect. (as the camera gets further out, the haze becomes thicker and thickers in the distance). I rendered out a quick test using the object buffer for each section.

Buffer 1 was the back of the city

Buffer 2 was the center part

Buffer 3 was the front

Buffer 4 was the ocean

Buffer 5 was the BG image (sky)

I realized that doing this will result in an ocean that is not reflecting the city. Also, by rendering out the city in sections, there are no longer shadows in the correct places. Either way I go, it results in a problem. I even thought about rendering the entire city in one pass by itself, but if I did, then I couldnt add differnt levels of haze between the rear, center, and front. Make sense? laugh.gif

Ive tried using C4D to create the haze, but it isnt working. Ive tried visible lights, fog shader, etc, and it doesnt look right, and im sure you all know that a sharp horizon line with no haze looks fake and takes away from the final image.

Anyone have any ideas? I was going to use AE to comp in a few haze layers in between the multi-passes, but then im back to an ocean with no reflection, and shadows that are missing, or in the wrong place.

Anyone?

Guest shutterbun

I'd ditch the multi-plane approach, for the reasons you've stated. Have you tried adding a simple "Environment" object? Seems like it would do exactly what you want, and is very easy to use.

Guest erich

Vilandra,

what about rendering your scene complete in C4D (with the camera flying in) and tweaking the haze settings .... then, import the movie (or picture sequence) into Premiere or what ever you use and reverse it at the post production stage?

Just a thought :)

P.S. I love your city render!

From what ive seen, the environment object doesnt give any depth to the render. Ive already tried it and it didnt give me the results I was looking for. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Guest shutterbun

The environment object can do a pretty good job of simulating atmospheric haze, as shown below. Were you looking for a different type of effect?

This is the scene I am recreating. If you look at each side, you'll notice that thick haze, however, the sky is not affected by it. Ive noticed that the fog in C4D affects the sky to where it cannot be seen. Unchecking the "affect background" only makes it worse because it cuts it off at the horizon line.

Guest shutterbun

This is the scene I am recreating. If you look at each side, you'll notice that thick haze, however, the sky is not affected by it. Ive noticed that the fog in C4D affects the sky to where it cannot be seen. Unchecking the "affect background" only makes it worse because it cuts it off at the horizon line.

OK, this was a toughie. I got some decent results with the following:

1. create a sky dome and circular plane (for the floor/water) with the same radius. (I used 6000 meters)

2. create your sky material; in the luminance channel, select "fusion." Begin with your clouds & sky as the base layer, then as the blend channel, create a vertical gradient, and set the mode to "screen." (I changed the angle to 180 degrees to make sure the white area would be at the bottom)

3. Create your water material, using a 2D circular gradient in the color and luminance channels. The white area should be at the outer edge (see material preview below)

4. Create an Environment object, enable fog, and set the distance to something roughly double your sky dome's radius (depending on how hazy you want it)

That's about the best I could come up with. Good luck with whatever you end up doing, hope it works out!

DCB: I was rendering out the animation as a tiff sequence, however after rendering for 4 hours, I saw some errors and stopped.

I took 3 sections of the city that were furthest from the camera and grouped them, then gave them a comp tag (object buffer ID). Then I grouped the middle portion of the city with the middle side parts and gave them a comp tag (object buffer) then I grouped the closest parts of the city to the camera and gave that group a comp tag.

I then rendered out object buffer group 1 seperately, and realized the shadows that should be there from the other groups were not showing up. Should I render out all the groups at once with their buffer ID?

Thanks for the idea shutterbun. I'll see if it helps.