Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DutchStylez

Midi Questions

Question

• Inquirer
  • Hi there have a question.....

Is it possible to let's say make a mograph animation and if something peaks above a certain value then a midi note is generated or maybe importing a midi sequence to steer certain values in a animation....?!?

Could this be done?!? Is there some other way to work with midi files in cinema...

this because it is hard to sync your animation within a music sequence program by eye, would be a lot easier if this is already rendered out so that you could import midi sequence together with the animation and it's allready in sync....

Hope I explained it a bit understandible..... :blink:

Thanks and Greetz Dutch

10 answers to this question

Hi. Both 3DCrew and myself have done a few midi powered animations inspired by the awesome Animusic DVD's. We've both done a few using our previous application Truespace using Python scripting and I also made a Visual C++ plugin for Truespace that used midi data as well.

Crew did do an animation using Coffee scripting for C4D and I think it's still lurking around here somewhere along with a bit of discussion.

In my gallery here you see what I've done with midi powered animations. Take a look at the last 4 animations. Sorry to say I havn't found C4D quite so easy to achieve the same results. One thing that I had partial success with was manipulating the midi data and importing the modified data as ascii. C4D interprets this as frame numbers and keyframes. This is something I've got to return to and continue experimenting.

If you havn't seen the Animusic DVD's go and buy both now. You won't be sorry. The animations are stunning.

Hope this helps.

3DKiwi

• Inquirer
  • Thanks kiwi,

So it is possible?!?

Hmmm I never touched coffee (:D) and never did scripting so that's no option for me :wacko:

If you got the time could you explain me a bit on using ascii files with c4d right now I only know that an ascii file is something like a text file that's all...

The thing is I did some product viz. for a customer and added sound after.... the way I did that is imported the animation in the sequencer and tweeked me some nice moody synth sounds to go along...

then came the hard bit.... if something happened a sound came up most of the time this where stabs or some pad sounds.....to give some atmosphere to the animation.... but that took really long to get it right and synced....

Maybe there is some other handy way of doing this but I thought if cinema could render or use midi files this would make life(or prod. viz ^_^ ) a lot easier......also with mograph you could achieve some really cool effects...

I'm going to look for those animusic DVD's I never heard of them...

Greetz Tom

Hi. The C4D manual gives a run down on how C4D interprets ascii files.

To get an animation driven by midi takes a lot of work. In all cases that I've done I've exported the midi data from a midi file using Anvil Studio. You then have to clean up the midi file in a spreadsheet program and get rid of a lot of the data and format it suitable to drive an animation. You've then a number of ways of getting it in C4D:

1. as imported ascii animation data - this takes more leg work to get things right

2. via XPresso and a special node that reads txt files. There's a post here where I describe in some detail how this works.

3. Via coffee code. This reads z txt file in a similar fashion to the Xpresso method. I havn't done this but 3DCrew has.

This all sounds a bit simplistic. The process is really quite involved and both 3DCrew and I have spent months on this getting to a point where we could drive animations by midi files. Unfortunately even if I gave lengthy instructions I doubt you would be able to follow along. It's sort of something that you have to start off with very simple and keep building on and increasing your understanding of how it all works.

You're in for a treat with the Animusic DVD's.

BTW, I believe it's technically possible to have MoGraph analyze a wave file and only animate at a particular frequency. You could animate a piano driven by MoGraph for example.

3DKiwi

• Inquirer
  • Real big thanks Kiwi,

I think i'm going to dive in, cause this could be quite cool to get working and of course knowing how it works....

it's so funny.... every project that I do or new idea that I have I find new 'problems' to solve I think 3D is the kind of subject one never stops learning...

Anyway thanks for the help I will update this once something comes out .... but as you already said you've spent a couple of months on getting it to work.... so i'm in for some fun(hopefully) and some homework.....

Greetz Dutch...

Get yourself Anvil Studio to start with. It's free. You then export your midi file in asc format. Open that in a Spreadsheet and start putting everything into columns using the sort functions. What you want is note values and on times. Forget about duration, intensity.

You'll then be left with something like this:

Note 56 100, 200, 300 etc

This means Note 56 sounds at frames 100, 200, 300 etc

This should get you started. One thing to remember is that say a hammer is going to strike a string is that it starts moving before it hits and the note sounds. You've got to include an time offset to counter this.

Have fun. This should keep up late for quite some time.

3DKiwi

Some time ago I did an animation using midi input. Here is thread about that.

http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/index.php?showtopic=506&st=0

Perhaps that will get you going. Midi controlled animation is a challenge I can tell you. What Kiwi and I have done is just sync the animation of objects to "note on" frame timings. If you look at Animusic, you'll see that they handle much more. On, off, intensity, even lead in before the strike and lead out animation after.

See if that thread and scene file help at all.

• Inquirer
  • Thanks Guys....

Thanks for the link, I think this will get me going.....

Crew.... that's exactly what I wanted to do.... sync the objects in a animation to midi notes.. the rest I could handle in my music program....

I hope I can get something out of it....will post if it does....

Greetz Tom

I bet it does. It looks great on my TV at a lower resolution.

3DKiwi

• Inquirer
  • Hi there,

Kiwi you where right those animusic DVD's a really great. how do they do that... did you watch the one with all the balls jumping around on to snares and bongo's.... I really like that one but.... it looks soooooo hard to do ....

Thanks codexus will look in that thread.....

Greetz Dutch

• Inquirer
  • Hi there I watched in that thread you linked codexus and that sounds really promissing...... too bad I don't have knowledge of coding or plugin writting.....

But I hope something cool comes out when you finish that nifty little plugin I am really interessted in some plugin like that....

Greetz Dutch