Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vilandra

Shockwave Distortion. 3d Vs 2d.

• Topic Author
  • I have a quick video clip from a tv show, showing the character taking off superman-style and when he takes off, there is some distortion around him, and following behind him, (almost like the air behind him is being displaced). Its actually a nice effect, and im having a hard time trying to recreate it.

The video clip is here distortion clip you will need divx to view it.

Would anyone know how this type of effect was created? Just by looking at it, im guessing it might have been done in post using a displacement map, or it could have been done using 3D particles, then the particle pass was taken into post and used as displacement.

Honestly, im not even sure where to begin, seeing as I dont want to have to re-render the animation I want to apply this effect too, over and over again.

Any help would be appreciated.

Yeah that does look very cool. It's a similar effect to a ripple filter in Photoshop. My guess is some sort of ripple filter in After Effects or Shake.

3DKiwi

cool fx...I have A idea.I think you could do in c4d .I try it out...then post it... ;)

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

Thanks OD1, ill be looking forward to seeing what you can come up with. Im hoping to recreate this accurately. Maybe not 100%, but something close to it.

I recall a ripple effect done in C4D. Base80 has a tutorial on it.

3DKiwi

• Topic Author

Yep, I just read that. It looks like he uses a plane in front of a camera, so im guessing ill need to model some sort of object, (in the shape of my character) place it in a emitter, and put it as a child of the main character. The emitter should emit the object with the refracting noise material giving the distorted look..... well, at least that is what im thinking will happen. B)

ok here a real fast try..as you said Vilandra..you have to model as object for center..like water that go down a drain...apply a good warp map or animated texture...I use bump with noise..and add some bur...then animated the object...I made this very simply..but I think with work it should look great...using bur warp..or even some deformers ;) may be the ticket ;) hope it helps or get you started

p s it not so great..need work.. :(

• Topic Author

Thanks OD1. I'll play around with some ideas, and post my results here once I render them out.

Nice effect there.... here's my version...

• Topic Author

Looks like he's got some rocket thrust coming from his rear end. laugh.gif All last night, and some this morning, ive been playing around with an idea, and so far, it looks like it may work. I'll post my results later. Ive got to fix a few things, then render it out, and we all know transparency with refraction increases render times.