Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

supafraud

Any Way To Make An Object Emit Light?

I'm making one of those energy saving light bulbs, the spiral kind. I'm trying to make the tube light up. Is there a way to assign an object to a light or something like that?

Guest Anarchaic

Create an Area Light, change the Area Shape to Object/Spline and drag your spiral bulb into the Object field. You may need to make it editable, I can't remember. The downside of Area Lights is that you can't use them to generate Visible or Volumetric light. However, you can kind of of fake it with the Glow material channel.

thanks for the help. I did what you said but the light doesnt seem to be shining through the glass and/or very brightly. Looks like this:

Image deleted - 3DKiwi

Guest Anarchaic

You can change the brightness and falloff distance of the area light to change the amount of light it emits, that will only effect the illumination.(how much the light illuminates other objects.) If you want to make the light itself look bright, you need to activate the Luminance and/or Glow channels in the bulb's material. Bear in mind that the glow channel is a post effect and will not be visible in reflections or behind transparent objects.(Luminance doesn't have this limitation)

EDIT: Also, make sure you don't apply a material to the Area Light itself, as this will block the light it emits.

Thanks for the help, here's the result!

Image deleted. Please use our image attachment facilities only - 3DKiwi

Guest dataflow

just so u know this forum dont allow links to image.

its best to use the image attachment option.

and with your image i would lower your visable light/glow. lights like that dont have radiation/glow.

that y they are energy savers :)

and i would make the glass white not transperent.which will also lower your render time

ok

Guest Chrisp

Cool, looks good :)

Guest dragonder

I did al the same with a simple cube, but it's not visible.

Am I missing a setting here?

thnx

sven

You have to enable the "Show in render" option on the details tab.

Welcome to the cafe :)

3DKiwi