Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3DKiwi

New R10 Book

Just got confirmation from Amazon.co.uk. The book will be delivered by the 29th of January. So I'm assuming they have it in stock now.

Glad to hear it. I haven't heard anything yet, but I was late in placing my order.

Any chance of telling the delivery guy to drop it off in Glasgow first for a peek? It's on the route to Dundee. ;)

Cheers, Alan.

Guest Andoy

My copy arrived this morning so i have my head stuck into it right now... from first impressions it's definitely worth getting..

Hi all.

I've ordered this book from Amazon (US) and they emailed to say its being delivered Mon. Jan 29th, so I'm pretty excited about that. I think the tutorials 3DKiwi has put together here are just great (website is just the best, and the users are too); however, I've had some difficulty with some of the tutorials made in versions prior to Release 10. Things are just different. Last night, for instance, I tried the Mocca tutorial with the little green alien, and nothing - I mean nothing - worked with the bones. Is this because I'm supposed to be using JOINTS in Rel. 10? So, I loaded up the "Meg" character, and tried putting some joints on her arm, painting weights, etc., and when I moved her arm, her legs moved as well, despite me painting her all over, including her feet. Quite frustating, and I thought well, let me wait for the book.

I'm disappointed to hear that stuff like that isn't covered in depth in this new book. And, the help sytem in C4D is rotten - nothing is really explained like you'd want it, and the quickstart manual is quite superficial (I've emailed Rafi at MAXON about this, but not holding my breath for any kind of book from them). She told me to check Cineversity but I'm not about to shell out another $295 to be a member. Seems that to access all the good tutorials, you have to be a member.

I know you have to be busy 3DKiwi, but I wish, wish, wish, that you'd make some tutorials for Rel. 10 - hell, at this point, I'd pay for them, as there seems to be a real lack of quality educational materials for R10 out there.

Sorry for the length of this post, just had to get this off my chest. I'll feel really stupid if there are R10 tutorials hiding somewhere that I haven't found. :blink:

SuperVee, I agree your opinion of Cineversity. The content may be very good for all I know but I would not want to shell out just to get access to tutorials that I could not download and save for review at any time on any machine.

Nor am I wild about the R10 help system. OK, it's inerteractive and all, but I like a book. When I ordered R10 I asked MAXON UK if they did a big heavy manual, but they said no. In any case, I think the help is a reference only, not really as a "how-to". In fairness to MAXON, that's probably the best you can expect it to be but oftentimes I know so little the text is fairly meaningless.

However, help is at hand. There are R10 rigging tutorials out there, just not here yet. Chris Hollins has some at http://www.meltinglight.com/pages/R10_BasicSkinning.html

and Mike Batchelor has an excellent set at http://www.c4dportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1017

Hope this helps.

SKP

Ooooooh, thank you SKP. I've added these to my favourites and will check them out later today (wish there was no such thing as bathrooms to be cleaned so I could spend all my time in C4D). I like having a book too - you can take it to read when you have appointments, take it to bed when there's nothing on TV, etc.) I guess I just learn better from books.

Thank you for being so helpful :D

• Topic Author
  • Rel 10 tutorials are coming once we get the R10 review out of the way.

If you're rigging in R10 you should be using joints. The soft IK tutorial with the alien head can be don in R10 using joints however you just use Soft IK tags and the setup IK chain from legacy menu.

I gather another R10 book or an updated "The Cinema 4D Handbook" is coming out this year. More on that later.

3DKiwi

I dont know what about all of you guys, but I did the mocca tutorial in the tutorial DVD and it was a great push with mocca 3 and I think all of you should do it

I dont know what about all of you guys, but I did the mocca tutorial in the tutorial DVD and it was a great push with mocca 3 and I think all of you should do it

Yes Okfir, thanks for that reminder. I will do that too - guess I just forgot about it being there. I got stuck in the Bodypaint section on that little butterflyguy and went & plunged into something else (is there just so much to explore in C4D or what?!) And yes, I will have to buy Kiwi's BodyPaint DVD too.

Thanks again for being helpful.

I still using R9.1 and am looking at getting R10 if they update some modeling stuff (hinge mode among others), would Arnt's book still help using R9.1 ?

• Topic Author
  • Modelling tools havn't been enhanced in R10 so modelling tuts in Ardnt's R10 book can be followed in R9.

However the book has been written specifically for R10 so screen shots are all using the new light scheme. Still a very good book for beginners. Intermediate to advanced users may find it disappointing.

3DKiwi

Ok, so I think it is not a book for me.

Alway hard to judge of course, but I don't consider myself as a beginner anymore.

But that is not for me to decide.

I hope you guys can tell me if I'm a beginner or not. :unsure:

Haha. pfff as you can read I can use more self-confidence I guess.

Peace,

Rich_Art. ;)