Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3DKiwi

New R10 Book

Guest Patrick

I would say 99.9% for sure that there won't be.

3DKiwi

I've emailed the publishers but haven't heard back from them yet. Have they indicated to you that they won't make an ebook available for sale?

There is after all an ebook of the German original.

• Topic Author
  • No but I saw no mention of an E book when I bought the paper version.

3DKiwi

No but I saw no mention of an E book when I bought the paper version.

3DKiwi

I can't remember where, but I did read that there is a German E -book version but it wasn't certan if there would be an English version released. I suppose if enough people nag the publishers then they may have a think about it.

There was a pdf sampler of the chapter on modeling the Mac on one of the book re-seller sites.

Sorry, can't remember which one. I found it via a chain of links.

I doubt if a full e-book version will be available. It would be unlikely to have the sample work files or the PhotoMatch plugin which is included on the DVD.

For the price that the book with DVD is available on Amazon, it is a bargain.

I've only had a quick flick through the contents (dam' Mac pilot virus :angry: ) but the tutorials look easy to follow and the content is well detailed with plenty screen-caps.

A beginner should be able to follow the tutorials with the assumption that some basic C4D skills are known.

It is not a "hold-my-hand & press this button" type of book. Absolute noobs should work through some of the Cafe Basics and Tools tutorials first. The homework will be well rewarded.

Having said that, there is still plenty of information to satisfy an intermediate user.

The car modeling tutorial is certain to become the Standard Car Tutorial of the future as it covers everything from modeling to texturing, lighting and environment.

If I had my way, I would put this book in the C4D Box as standard issue.

Minor typos and non-native English translation apart, it is still worth a full 10 out of 10 as far as I am concerned.

Arndt, if you read this, have a native English speaking C4D user to do a final proof of future copy.

This is not a major issue but it would polish it to perfection. Nigel perhaps?

Also, do you have any plans for an Intermediate to advanced version?

If you do, put me down for a copy right now. :D

Cheers, Alan.

I got the Cinema 4D 10 Workshop Arndt von Koenigsmark (great name!), and as described by folks here, it is solid as a work of instruction. It is largely for beginners before the advanced modeling in some respects, but also contains lots of useful in-depth tips which I took notes on. The writing is very good, I highly recommend it, and I appreciate his candid descriptions of various procedural work flows and current limitations. Discussion of things like materials give a nice, layman's terms, clear description of what is going on and why, with a nice competent understanding of underpinning program physics. I think MAXON should list this book in a resource file in the welcome package when you buy or upgrade C4D as like mandatory reading, along with other books if there are more like this. I'll give a full report when I'm done with the car tutorial.

• Topic Author
  • Members should also look out for the new R10 book by Anson Call. Available now to pre order at Amazon. This is well known Adam Watkins / Anson Call book that's been around but it's been dramatically updated for R10.

I can vouch for this book as I was the person that got to work through the tutorials, check it for errors, make suggestions etc. It covers a wide range of material and has an excellent rigging chapter.

3DKiwi

That's good enough recommendation for me. Ordered. :D

I started off with the Adam Watkins C4DXL and C4DR8 books.

I am confident that this one for R10 will be up to scratch.

Cheers, Alan.

Thanks 3DKiwi,

No doubt I'll be studying the new R10 book by Anson Call soon. I'm currently working on a battloid design on the drafting table, and will then start on my second main goal which was a good, detailed 3D Robotech style battloid of my own design. C4D has given me the possibility fulfilling this goal, since I was able to complete my primary goal, a 3D human character. I'm taking plenty of screenshots so I can put together a tutorial if I can fit it in. I already got an offer for professional 3D modeling for a toy line due to the picture of my anime character at my site.

• Topic Author
  • The book is best suited to beginners wanting a broad range of tutorials to give them a good workout of most things to do with C4D and the modules.

3DKiwi

Nigel, it was the rigging chapter I was interested in.

How does it match up to the Flabbio video tutorial, just as a rough guide?

If there isn't much more then I'll probably just cancel it.

Cheers, Alan.

• Topic Author
  • About the same Alan except you don't get the vocal repetition.

3DKiwi

Thanks Nigel,

If that is it thus far, then that's it. rolleyes.gif

I think I'll just cancel the order and hope for an advanced Arndt book in the future.

Cheers, Alan.