Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3DKiwi

New R10 Book

I dont know what about all of you guys, but I did the mocca tutorial in the tutorial DVD and it was a great push with mocca 3 and I think all of you should do it

Are these DVD tuts something that comes with R10 or is it 3rd party?

How does it match up to the Flabbio video tutorial, just as a rough guide?

Hey all,

Can someone post all available R10 resources some where if there isn't already?

Books and DVD's preferably.

Thanks

• Topic Author
  • Good idea. If someone would like to put together a list with the links I'll add it to the new users section as a pinned message.

3DKiwi

Guest Knight-Templar

I got the book by arnft von Loenigsmarck, slowly reading it, but i thought i would give the car tut a go (simply) because the car splines are there and you creat polygons around this, EASY, NO now i have done something wrong, i have checked help under MAXON etc etc and i just stopped banging my head against a wall and thought give CD 4cafe a try. Here goes.

Page 241 modelling the fender: i created a polygon as the chapter suggested and followed the diagram in perspective mode following the line of the fender going well.

However when i went to front view the polygon structure is nowhere near the car splines they are flat on the Z axis. How do i get the polygon structure to follow the splines in all views.

Simon

I got the book by arnft von Loenigsmarck, slowly reading it, but i thought i would give the car tut a go (simply) because the car splines are there and you creat polygons around this, EASY, NO now i have done something wrong, i have checked help under MAXON etc etc and i just stopped banging my head against a wall and thought give CD 4cafe a try. Here goes.

Page 241 modelling the fender: i created a polygon as the chapter suggested and followed the diagram in perspective mode following the line of the fender going well.

However when i went to front view the polygon structure is nowhere near the car splines they are flat on the Z axis. How do i get the polygon structure to follow the splines in all views.

Simon

Did you have 3D Snapping activated rather than 2.5D or 2D Snapping?

Guest Knight-Templar

Did you have 3D Snapping activated rather than 2.5D or 2D Snapping?

Hello,

Yep i had the 3d selected even tried tonight same result, can't figure it out so i am starting with the computer hard drive in the book.

Simon

Hello,

Yep i had the 3d selected even tried tonight same result, can't figure it out so i am starting with the computer hard drive in the book.

Simon

I took a look at p241 of the book as well as the content of the disc which contains the splines.

The first two polygons are done in car1.c4d file. And only one side of the edges are aligned with a spline so the points on the other side of the polygons created cannot be snapped and show up in rather strange places.

You have to manually move it to fit to the car. The book does not show these oddly placed points but the text tells you to move points afterwards. Though the text tell you to activate 3D snapping only for moving points but actually snapping works for creating polygons.

Overall I don't think you were doing it wrong.

And the nice model in the chapter 1 is a Mcintosh Computer and not an external HDD.

Good luck!

Guest Knight-Templar

Okay for some reason it works now, i read the page again and again and experimented with C4d. Now you do have to manipulate the polys around a bit. I found it easier to have the two points snapped to the spline of the bonnet (hood) and the other two points that come down the fender i tried it without the spline box checked and when i got this positioned right i then created more polygons. Seemed to work for me.

I will finsih of the fender and post a wip.

Simon

I took a look at p241 of the book as well as the content of the disc which contains the splines.

The first two polygons are done in car1.c4d file. And only one side of the edges are aligned with a spline so the points on the other side of the polygons created cannot be snapped and show up in rather strange places.

You have to manually move it to fit to the car. The book does not show these oddly placed points but the text tells you to move points afterwards. Though the text tell you to activate 3D snapping only for moving points but actually snapping works for creating polygons.

Overall I don't think you were doing it wrong.

And the nice model in the chapter 1 is a Mcintosh Computer and not an external HDD.

Good luck!

Okay for some reason it works now, i read the page again and again and experimented with C4d. Now you do have to manipulate the polys around a bit. I found it easier to have the two points snapped to the spline of the bonnet (hood) and the other two points that come down the fender i tried it without the spline box checked and when i got this positioned right i then created more polygons. Seemed to work for me.

I will finsih of the fender and post a wip.

Simon

Glad it's working for you.

The book got a 5/5 in the Image Efects Magazine this month.

Report: Cinema 4D 10 Book

Arndt von Koenigsmarck

I said I would report on the book which I completed a while ago, but I got distracted with the piloted mech contest. The car tutorial was excellent, although the printed render picturess in the book were a little dark. Over all I recommend the book, especially for those starting out or who have not modeled a car. I learned lots of interesting tidbits and secrets, and it’s a good read. I did not encounter any translation problems. The text is so expansive that what is being covered often lags several pages behind the pictures, causing one to flip back and forth, but it is a minor quibble. The only chapter I felt a little left out on was the Bodypaint chapter, which while extensive did not explain for me the process for me. I still really do not understand how it works, especially where and when to pin down control points, and what is going on? You relax UVs, then you export a bitmap? Then you bring it back to Bodypaint? What resolution is it? Where does the bitmap get stored? Can I pull it out again and add some airbrush? :blink:

Anyway, I would point out that Cineversity does not do any better at explaining Bodypaint, and so I conclude the process itself is confusing, and not Arndt’s fault. The car tutorial is truly useful, along with the samples on the CD, so if you have not done a full high quality auto in 3D, I recommend purchasing the book for this purpose. You will also learn lots of other stuff, if you take notes.

• Topic Author
  • Have you got my BP DVD Rick? The problem with BP is it's like learning a whole new app even if you are familiar with C4D. To do it justice would take a book all on its own. Hence over 16 hours on my DVD.

3DKiwi