Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Allufrio

Pricing Up A Job

Guest Allufrio
  • Topic Author
  • Hey pps,

Got a relatively big job coming up which would consist of me creating two cartoony mascots and then animating them and rendering them in different poses.

I was wondering how I would price something like that up front. I've not really got much of a character modelling background so I don't really know how long this could take but I'm guessing about a week or so for each model. I cannot use one body for the other since one character is supposed to be a male and the other a female.

I'm just looking for guidelines or examples of what some of you would charge for a rigged character...

Guest Allufrio
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks for that DD - guess it's a matter of what the competitions like over here amongst some other major factors.

It's kinda hard since I'm not sure how long it will take due to inexperience really. Hmm - any1 got any more hints/ideas?

One thing that I have learned through experience is when to turn a job down. I was offered a fantastic job that would of been broadcast on tv over here in the UK, therefore I would of been able to charge accordingly which would of been a few thousand pounds, but as my inexperince in the things they wanted to achieve in the timescale given I turned the job down.

On the other hand if you think you can do the job, but remember you cant charge your client for you to learn the basics of CA then dont be afraid to ask what might seem a lot of money to you. If you get the job then great but if you didnt on price then did you realy miss out.

The decision can only be yours, but take it from one that has been burned by it before only take the job on if you are 110% sure you can pull it off in the timescales.

I wish you the very best of luck :)

Let us know how you get on in the end. ;)

Steve

Guest Allufrio
  • Topic Author
  • Hey steve,

Well, I've always thought that the best way to learn something is to be thrown into the deep end and work your way through every obstacle as it comes. I've learned heaploads this way and am quite confident that I will in the end get through with a satified customer but most importantly, self satisfaction since I'm my own worst critic.

No matter how hard a job pulling through in the end puts me in a state of bliss - I wouldn't even dream of turning this job down since it's a huge project which will get me a lot of publicity since it's for a major government dept. I cannot say more as you may understand.

Thanks a bunch guys! :)

In that case go for it. I'm sure if you need help it will be right here waiting for you at the cafe. :)

Dont forget to make it worth your while. ;)

Steve

Guest seanix
  • Topic Author
  • I can't believe you got a paying job without having a demo reel! wow, talk about being at the right place at the right time :)

Guest Allufrio
  • Topic Author
  • nah bro - no need for demo reel - got the job through my home based mutlimedia business.... these guys have seen previous works of mine - aint no freebie!! hehe :)

I agree with Steve says. I've had several offers to do various projects and while I was flattered that I had been approached, doing what they wanted and in the time frame would have been challenging.

Just on what to charge. If you're doing professional level work you should charge professional level fees etc. I'm a photographer and get paid a salary but from time to time I do a few jobs at the weekend. I've charged from $500 NZ for a days work and the customer has been very happy.

However if you're looking to get your foot in the door and your work isn't pro level yet or you're a bit slow then you should probably reflect this in your charges or not charge by the hour.

3DKiwi

Guest Allufrio
  • Topic Author
  • not in C4D but I did an entire website for a client running a movie production studio - I had a 1 1/2 month deadline and managed to pull it off and have got great feedback from the people involved. check it out if you want - meant to run on a res of 1024 x 768... www.goldps.eu

Like I mentioned before - every one has their method of working and I've always learned the hard way - I act better under pressure and have no doubts as to whether I could make these two models. Whether it takes me a week or two to create the first one is irrelevant since the deadline won't be until April/May - besides, I know the second model will take less time to create and any models after that will take even less time as I get more experience. Obviously it also depends on model detail.

I've no doubt that with my determination, enthusiasm and help from the Cafe I could pull this job off which will help my business quite extensively.

I totally understand what you guys are reffering to - I'm not at all going to charge the client the extra two weeks it takes me to learn how to get these models done - I'll charge him on the actual models and any extra work required and not for time I spend learning.

As I mentioned - there is not strict deadline - I've got until April/May to get the models done together with a flash intro and presentation which is right up my alley.

Anyhow - thanks for all the advice - But model pricing is really what I'm asking. ty :)

Guest Allufrio
  • Topic Author
  • Hi pps,

Just thought I'd show you what i got so far - I'm working off a alien character tutorial which I'll convert for this job - I've pretty much got the arms defined but still got to work on the shuolders/chest and lower body, not to mention the hands.

Overal, it took about a days work to get to this point. I hope you guys recon it's headed in a good direction...let me know what you think. And remember, this is my first actual character model and it's meant to be a mascot for a sports event - has to look cute and cartoony - thats why i'm making his head relatively big.

Oh yeah, one more thing - how would I go by making realistic clothes - do i have to model them out of what i've got here - I'm planning on rigging and animating this model so what the best possible option?

Guest Allufrio
  • Topic Author
  • Here's a little update - hope to have a little more luck with replies on this one.....

Hi

It looks like you are off to a good start.

Thumbs up. ;)

Looking forward to seeing more. :)

Steve