Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vilandra

Can A Character Emit Itself Creating A Trail?

• Topic Author
  • I think this might be a job for TP, but im unsure as to how to set this up.

I have a character running, and I want her to emit some trails behind her that are in the same shape as she is, almost like the bullet trail effect from The Matrix.

Can a character do this with some kind of emitter tied to it? Of course the trail will have to fade and expand over time.

Any ideas?

oh I think it def can be done. You would just have to position the emitter correctly to line up with the mesh. Then set the particles as the character, and then whatever the position of the character at that time, the particle would take on that form. Then just set the scale and life, etc... in the emitter parameters and it should work.

That all sounds very kewl Vilandra, can't wait to see what you've been cooking up.

Morph

EDIT: Be warned though, that's gonna be a LOT of poly's, could kill your machine..... :D

well u cant do this directly since there is no way to do "current object" instances to be generated by itself... maybe with a script but i gues you dont want to write your own little tp module...

fcors it would very easy if the object making the trail wasnt animated..

ok little fix, its not so hard as i thought, coffee has current state of object to call.. lets see what can i do :P

• Topic Author
  • Can the character itself be used as a emitter? If I create an emitter, its shape is only rectangular, or circle. I can make it follow the character, but it would still be emitting from the square or circle. What I want is for the character mesh itself to become the emitter.

I think I might be wanting something that isnt possible.

ohhhhhh.....you want the particles to carry on animating in the same way as the original figure????

Surely that is a job for Mograph then???

ahm u put the emmiter as a child to the object? dont see the problem here.. hm

just for curiosity are the trails the mesh itself or some parts falling off of it?

• Topic Author
  • I'll see if I can explain this better. B)

For example, lets say that the character is standing still, and suddenly she moves her arm up in the air. Only that arm will emit copies of itself.

Or, if the character is running, the body mesh will be emitting copies of itself. If I create a emitter, and make it a child of the character, the emitters shape remains the same. I want to change the emitters shape so that it matches the characters body so that it will emit shapes that are identical to what the character is doing.

I hope that makes sense. Heres is small screencap of what im wanting to do.

if yu make an instance of the character and place him as a particle under the emitter then itll work but i dont know how to get diff material for the particles to allow transparency

yap jhonny cage effect from mortal combat :)

u need a "current state of object" maker in a script.. its not so hard to make but i have no time atm so ill see what i cant do tomorow..

fcors i would like to see some other ways too if anyone has an idea :)

I am gonna try this when I get home V, I think I might know how to do it!

Morph

• Topic Author
  • Ok, I'll be waiting to see what you guys can come up with. I have no experience with scripting, so thats all new to me. Im also trying to see if I can do this in post, although im finding myself running into problems.

main()

{

var doc = GetActiveDocument();

var bc = new(BaseContainer);

SendModelingCommand(MCOMMAND_CURRENTSTATETOOBJECT, doc, Obj, bc, MDATA_CURRENTSTATETOOBJECT_KEEPANIMATION);

}

this is the start if anyone knows to carry on it only needs a trigerrer to make the instance...