Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whthawk

Cad To C4d

Guest qcumber

Dxf files are only text which you can easily edit. Maybe a simple edit will dumb down your output file to a simpler version that will work. If this is possible then you could knock yourself out a simple script or vb program to automate the process in future.

In V 10 you can save to R12. When you do a save as have you pressed the setup button to reveal the formats of dxf you can save. I think you mention that you did in a previous post.

If you cant, e mail me the dxf file as you have it unless you can save down to v10 in tcw format and I will save it at R12 to see if you get any joy.

I know from using dxf all day long in my day job (now using solidworks 2007) that dxf files can be awkward to say the least. There are so many ways that different pieces of software interpret their data.

Cheers

Steve

I've just had success using r12 format and also checking unblock, the only thing is is that it comes through as polys and not as lines but I guess you could use edge to spline to get back to splines.

I will give it a try and let you know what happens.

Worked like a charm. I just then made an outline spline which gave me walls that I could then just extrude.

Dont know what would happen on curves though.

Steve

Ah, from R10s help system I discovered that Cinema will support DXF export from AutoCAD up to and including R12! How old is that? I think we need an update to this. The minimum I can save to is R14 in TC...

No update is likely. The reason is that MAXON's parent company, Nemetschek, is a direct competitor to Autodesk, particularly in the architectural field. I think you will find that Allplan drawings interchange perfectly with C4D.

http://www.nemetschek.com/

I've just noticed that the screen shot of C4D on Nemetschek's product page is still R9.5. Perhaps MAXON don't tell them what they are doing :)

• Topic Author
  • Okay, so now I have downloaded the AC 2007 demo. What a monster! Anyway, I loaded the dwg file and saved it as a r12 dxf. Of course, there were features used in the 2007 document that didn't translate properly, so I lost the very thing I was after, the walls! Argh. Looks like I will have to build the base elements from scratch. Thanks to those who entertained this thread. :)

Jeff

I've been working with cad files a lot. Just import the cad (dxf) file into Illustrator and remove everything you don't need and then group the lines. Just export it as version 8 of adobe illustrator AI format. When you import the file into Cinema 4d you cannot possibly see the lines at first. Group the file into null object by pressing ALT+G. Then press O (to search the object). Move the null object in the center of coordinates. That's it. I hope this helps. :)

Its a shame cinema doesn't import eps straight in.

Steve

Its a shame cinema doesn't import eps straight in.

Steve

actually AI format works the best because you can model straight from the cad files. Just use them like splines as usually. Of course you have to know how to use splines in modelling.

Here's couple of my work examples.

That is exactly how I used to do it before I lost the use of illustrator, I am not going to buy illustrator just to convert splines which is a shame because it was really useful.

If only I could find a converter somewhere. :)

Nice work btw. ;)

Steve