Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DutchStylez

Zbrush Displacement...

• Topic Author
  • Hi there,

I'm having lots of problems with displacement maps coming out of zBrush...

It looks like all of the detail is missing when I render it out in Cinema and

I know it can work because I've seen some nice renders using zBrush and cinema....

Isn't there some guideline or indepth tutorial regarding this subject...

I'm really looking forward for some help this is something I'm trying for some time now and

it simply doesn't work the way I want....

Greetz Dutch

• Topic Author
  • Hi Scott,

thanks for the reply..

Yes I know the basics for imp./ exp. displ. out of zbrush...

However I don't really work with store MT, what is it good for...

I will try your suggestion to use a sphere with a clean UV map

to see what happens maybe it will get better..

I always use ZBrushs generated uv's since I model my entire model in zBrush,

lately I'm trying to do the other worklow a litle more with making a low poly model in cinema and refining it in zbrush...

So you say it should give you better results if you lay out your uv's in cinema, man that is nasty since I'm not that good with laying out uv's.

The thing is that If I'm painting in projection master and I paint with alpha's in zbrush this should give you some really detailed displacement however I always seem to lose this when importing into cinema...

One thing I've found out myself is that you have to use SPD or Hypernurbs to get your subdivide levels back in cinema...

Also another thing that should be usefull is the displ. map exporter whitch can export 32 bit HDRi images I also will give this a try...

I think this is an interessting subject since the results with zbrush and mudbox speak for them selves...

Greetz Dutch

• Topic Author
  • Thanks Scott,

That sounds really usefull.... Hopefully it will work the way I hope it will be... :D

So if I understand this correct the I have to create a Morph Target after the model is imported in zBrush....

Once I'm done modeling how should I use this Morph tag with the displ. rendering....

Thanks for the help....

Greetz Dutch

• Topic Author
  • What does it do exactly and must I use this always???

• Topic Author
  • really big THANKS Scott,

I hope this will help, it is something I have totally overseen.

I already watched the zScript on displacement and it shure makes sence.... I didn't really knew the way displacement is calculated and hence this makes sence.... So I get more detail than before haha I will try it out immediatly on my metal master scene..... :D

Why have you switched to mudbox is it better or is it only because

the UI....

Does it give better results???

Greetz Dutch

• Topic Author
  • Thanks again Scott...

This process using mt target in zbrush got me almost to the result I have in zbrush...

I'm still struggling a bit with the zmapper though trying out how to export a 32 bit displacement map...

I will give mudbox another try since I'm doing more and more modeling in cinema and not using zspehers anymore

Greetz Dutch

• Topic Author
  • I'm still stuck in the nightmare that is called displacement exporting.... ahhhhhhhh

man sometimes it works and most of the times it just dont...

zbrush just calculated my displacement map and it took 4hrs.... and the result well it's not even near the

details I had in zbrush...

this just drives me mad everybody just says export it and switch that and that and then you get great results

and well it just isn't that way.... I always have to tweak the displacement map with a filter to get it somewhere near what i've drawn in zbrush.... but the real fine details just won't show up the way they supposed to...

I wont give up on this issue but it really drives me mad sometimes...

help is much much appreciated

Greetz Dutch

I use mudbox Cinema 4D 9.x doesnt seem to work very well with 32bit displacement maps...something to do with the range starting at mid grey or something, this results in holes or gaps in the detail. Im stilll confused by it so I just use 16bit displacement maps and tweak the intensity, seems to work ok for me.

Guest MilesBaskett

Show a pic, maybe you are making stuff TOO detailed....I doubt it, but who knows. I think that if the exportings is an on/off again type thing, maybe there is a work flow problem of some type.

Also the 32bit/16bit thing...I use the 16bit as well with no problems.

• Topic Author
  • Show a pic, maybe you are making stuff TOO detailed....I doubt it, but who knows. I think that if the exportings is an on/off again type thing, maybe there is a work flow problem of some type.

Also the 32bit/16bit thing...I use the 16bit as well with no problems.

Thanks in advance for your help...

here is a link to my latest project

http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/index.php?act=a...st&id=33557

as you can see all organics show different amounts of displacement the one surrounding the pillar got out best

the lowest in the picture is almost smooth and not displaced...

I'm using SPD and also a filter in the displ. channel to get more contrast in the displ. map

I used 32 bit displ. maps for all organics..

thanks again for your help on this it drives me mad but I want to figure out my issue with displ. exporting....

Regards,

Tom

Guest MilesBaskett

A boring list of things to check compare:

1.Material set up, are the poorly displaced objects using the same MAT set-up as the ones that look good?

2.Displacement textures, how does the good one compare to the to the bad ones? And, can you remember if you did anything different during the good and bad ones.

3.SPD, is it set up right in the material?

Personally, I think the problem is probably forgetting one minor thing in ZB. I have a list that I usually run down as I go through ZB, just so I don't forget something minor.

• Topic Author
  • A boring list of things to check compare:

1.Material set up, are the poorly displaced objects using the same MAT set-up as the ones that look good?

2.Displacement textures, how does the good one compare to the to the bad ones? And, can you remember if you did anything different during the good and bad ones.

3.SPD, is it set up right in the material?

Personally, I think the problem is probably forgetting one minor thing in ZB. I have a list that I usually run down as I go through ZB, just so I don't forget something minor.

Hi Miles,

not at all borring.... this issue keeps me pretty much awake... :)

1. bassically all meshes do use the same mat. setup but all with different settings cause I think it is impossible to have one mat. setup that fits all displ. maps (i mean height tweaking, contrast/ level tweaking etc.)

2. the good displ. map has a lot more detail in it must be something that I did in zbrush before calculating it,

but I really wouldn't know what it could be...

3. yes I would say that it is set up right different tests made using different settings etc.

I think that you are right and that I have to use a setting in zbrush that I don't use before rendering the displ. map. I have read several tutorials regardin this issue and think that I have everything set the way it's supposed to be... but not...

Could it be possible that you share your checklist with me I would be really gratefull...

I really want to solve this problem cause I love painting displacement in zbrush but this issue really bugs me out.

Anyway real BIG thanks for your help so far

Tom