Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stevehewitt1950

Vista - Why It Is A Bad Thing

• Topic Author
  • I would suggest that anyone involved in using computers read this article. It is quite depressing that, for instance, a new design of graphics card has to be approved by at least 3 movie studios before Microsoft will certify it. Other worrying things are Microsofts new ability to disable parts of your system or delete programs.

This will affect Macs as well as the hardware designs are affected.

I, for one, will have nothing to do with Vista after reading this.

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

I posted a link to a BBC article on a previous Vista thread here on the Cafe pointing up some of these concerns but no one seemed interested. Ah well.

I have considered getting hold of a copy of XP when I eventually get hold of an Intel Mac.

This has been in the news here a bit. Microsoft initially denied this but they've been telling mistruths.

However I've been playing music CD's and DVD's on my new Vista powered notebook when I travel away. Things appear to play fine for me.

3DKiwi

WELL IF IT TURNS OUT TO BE TRUE..Look out mac here I come... :D

Guest dynamicrealism

and to add to the discussion, im getting a 1900 score in cinebench for c4d r10, let alone my screen is only glitching up in the view port. the only reason i need it is to beta test the new game Crysis for DX10 compatibility.

• Topic Author
  • Apart from Macs there are not a lot of alternatives.

Before anyone mentions Linux, it is still not stable or easy enough for ordinary users.

My daughter wanted Linux installing on her laptop so I got hold of one of the latest distributions (Sabayon - based on Gentoo but you don't have to set aside a week to install it). It was very easy to install and produced a whizzy interface based on KDE. So far so good. Then "Dad, where's my internet?". Oh dear the wireless card doesn't work. 4 hours later (all spent at the CLI - no windows here for configuring devices) I gave up and put in another card (a PMCIA one I had lying around). This worked but only after another session with the command line.

Everything that you want to change that is non-trivial and you are back to arcane command line commands. This is not user friendly. Most people would just give up at this sort of thing. It needs a concerted effort by someone to package the system better but the people involved seem to like this complexity. When you complain on one of the forums, all you get is a lecture from some geek about how much more efficient using the CLI is.

We use Linux at work for some of our servers since HP and Oracle endorsed it and for this it is excellent but as a home desktop it has a way to go.

• Topic Author
  • Seen and tried Ubuntu. Wireless card doesn't work at all. Full stop. I also have the full version of Debian 3.1. Installing that takes me back to the early 90s and you just end up with a command prompt. Then you have to install the X GUI as a separate (long) exercise.

Lol laugh.gif

After reading that article, this was the image that popped into my head. Couldn't resist! :D

Guest aquastealth

Theproblem with Vista in my opinion is that it doesnt give its users anything new except for the updated and cool looking UI.

Why change to an OS that will steal memory and lag down your comp graphicwise when XP works flawless? :)

Because MS sees Apple putting a glossy pastel UI on everything so they figured that was the way to increase market share.

Vista would have been worthwhile if they had kept in the original features promised. In the end they cut all the good stuff out to get it to market so there is no compelling reason to switch from XP.

You're saying that MS feel threatened by Apple?

Guest dataflow

i would say they should.

macs are growing in popularity every day.soon there going to take over MS

I know this is not fully devolped now, but I think if this is really going to work, MS will have a big problem:

http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html

I haven't received my Vista yet (Dell is soooo slow), so I can't comment the OS but what I hear from others it really frightens me.