Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DavidR

Uk Mac Users Take A Look At This

• Topic Author
  • Hi Everyone,

This is way off topic and only of interest to a few members but those few are going to be fairly interested.

Take a look at this:

http://mhc.insidestretch.com/

This is a blog that I picked up on the Mac-Forums site (what a nice site, btw) about the fact that the Beeb are only producing TV on Demand software for Windows. By the way, the Blog has a closed membership so you can't comment. When you have read the quote, click the link and sign the petition demanding software for other platforms. Once again Mac users are getting screwed over by the massive Microsoft conspiracy and we can't let that happen. Mac users watch TV as well as Windows users. Let's try to make sure that we can do so on our computers.

Thank you for reading this rant.

David

Supply e-mail, full address and postcode to a non-official blog petition.... with bots crawling all over the place?

No thank you very much.

If you need to register a protest, complain directly to OFTEL, OFWATCH or Office of Fair Trading.

Whichever is the official consumer regulatory body for the BBC.

It worked recently with UK Banks getting hammered (for a welcome change) for their unfair penalty charging clauses.

The next on the horizon is British Telecom about to add a surcharge for not paying by Direct Debit.

Might as well stick the BBC up against the same wall. :)

"Power to the People" ~ John Lennon

Cheers, Alan. (Confirmed Mac-ite)

• Topic Author
  • Supply e-mail, full address and postcode to a non-official blog petition.... with bots crawling all over the place?

No thank you very much.

If you need to register a protest, complain directly to OFTEL, OFWATCH or Office of Fair Trading.

Whichever is the official consumer reglatory body for the BBC.

It worked recently with UK Banks getting hammered (for a welcome change) for their unfair penalty charging clauses.

The next on the horizon is British Telecom about to add a surcharge for not paying by Direct Debit.

Might as well stick the BBC up against the same wall. :)

"Power to the People" ~ John Lennon

Cheers, Alan. (Confirmed Mac-ite)

Hello Alan,

Let's hope other Mac users are not as faint-hearted. Power is only with the people if the people seize it. Mac users have been marginalised enough. And I think we owe it to ourselves to stand up for our rights. Otherwise nothing changes.

David

Guest MilesBaskett

I don't get it, they make(or did) solutions to watch tv on your mac, not to mention the new mac they are designing as a home multimedia system.

• Topic Author
  • I don't get it, they make(or did) solutions to watch tv on your mac, not to mention the new mac they are designing as a home multimedia system.

Hi Miles,

This is not about TV being available on Macs but about Mac users being marginalised once again at the hands of a corrupt corporate entity with more money than morality. And I am not talking about the Beeb here. This is as much about a principle as anything else. But principles matter for without them there is nothing to define fair practice.

David

Guest dynamicrealism

I believe calling microsoft a conspiracy is a little extremist in my opinion. They have successfully captured the capitalistic adventure. Albeit I completely disagree with their stance on issues and prices (give me a break), I still support the fact that they can exist the way they do. As far as software companies making only products for windows, tough.

Guest MilesBaskett

After using macs for 20+ years, I guess this no longer makes me raise an eyebrow really. Plus, what about all the Linux users, haven't they too been excluded in such a way? Plus, isn't it the new macs that can pretty much boot up into any new OS....seems like Mac users really don't have much to complain about anymore except being price gouged by Apple.

Edit:

Forgot to mention, but isn't BBC downlodable through iTunes already? I have quite a few BBC shows on my ipod. Alot of them are free too.

• Topic Author
  • After using macs for 20+ years, I guess this no longer makes me raise an eyebrow really. Plus, what about all the Linux users, haven't they too been excluded in such a way? Plus, isn't it the new macs that can pretty much boot up into any new OS....seems like Mac users really don't have much to complain about anymore except being price gouged by Apple.

Edit:

Forgot to mention, but isn't BBC downlodable through iTunes already? I have quite a few BBC shows on my ipod. Alot of them are free too.

Miles,

The petition covers Linux users as well. I watch some BBC stuff on my machine but I don't know what is downloadable on iTunes as I don't use it.

And dynamicrealism. It is, of course, a matter of opinion and definition. However I could put a very strong case demonstrating that Microsoft's business practices and policies do resemble a conspiracy. But I will not do so here. (You can almost hear the sighs of relief.) However, I have to say that Microsoft are not being fined millions of Euros by the EEC for being good guys but for restrictive, monopolistic and unethical business practices.

ha ha ha!..got a jump in on this..

As a freelancerI was involved in the production of an event by the BBC, 2 weeks ago.

The event was a morale boosting/backslapping session for the beeb's marketing dept.

The big news was the on demand stuff soon to be released called iplayer(thats original)

The news that it would n't work on a mac,or anything else except windows was no surprise to any of the techs working on the gig.There was no working demo at the event,instead we had to play a DVD of what it might look like if they get it working fully.

The interesting thing was that these files you download,if you go for that option instead of streaming(gonna be way to slow for the majority)the files self destruct after a certain time!

You have 30 days to watch it from the day you downloaded,and once you have started to watch it,you have 7 days left.

Was also much noise about if the servers would be able to handle the demand,and where the money was going to come from for these,

mala ;)

Guest MilesBaskett

Ha, thanks for the inside scoop.

Ha, thanks for the inside scoop.

no worries

It's got to have something to with this self-destruct thing,something PCs are quite good at :P

mala ;)

It's all to do with Digital Rights Management (see the article on Vista I posted a couple of days ago). The BBC are paranoid about this and only Microsoft can provide the DRM (crippling) required.