Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DavidR

Uk Mac Users Take A Look At This

Wow, first Micro$oft and it's digital rights management, now BBC ditching Mac and going with windows only? :huh:

IS THERE A CONNECTION???!!! IS IT A COINCIDENCE???!!! IS IT UNDER A HYPERNURBS OBJECT?????!!!!!!! *Hides in bomb shelter*

:mellow: ............... laugh.gif

Wow, first Micro$oft and it's digital rights management, now BBC ditching Mac and going with windows only? :huh:

IS THERE A CONNECTION???!!! IS IT A COINCIDENCE???!!! IS IT UNDER A HYPERNURBS OBJECT?????!!!!!!! *Hides in bomb shelter*

:mellow: ............... laugh.gif

That's good :D

But seriously, whats the fuss. No one uses mac's. Therefore it is un-profitable to make a max version. And even if it could be profitable, the profit would be very small, as the proportion of people watching tv on windows would be soooo much bigger.

And if you really want it, i'm guessing your well off, since your using a mac, so i'm sure you can buy a pc for watching tv.... or better yet a 40" plasma.

It's free to use,so where would the profit be?

It's like steve said it comes down to the DRM,

From what i heard at the event,the DRM side of things was being pushed more by the independant companies that make content for the beeb rather than themselves,or thats the impression they wanted to give.

the question really is,are there not enough repeats already on the BBC,and most of the shows are avaliable on DVD's which don't self destruct(unless you've got a cheap DVD player like mine :P )

It seems to me like its a late and lame attempt by the beeb to catch up with the likes of the dirty digger(sky-for those non brits) and the bearded one(virgin)-this is actually how the BBC referred to them-which i think shows how paranoid they are about the competition,not people recording their shows,which of course you can still do with DVD/hard disc recorder or the late great VHS if thats your bag.

Its the beeb trying to prove that we should still be giving them money,

mala ;)

You do know that macs can run windows software too? And with leopard out in a short while it's going to be even easier. We mac users have the best of both worlds really.

Morph

Yeah...what morph said. Macs can do what windows can and more (technically). :P

So all you need to do is install xp on your mac and watch the shows from there, while browsing the cafe on safari. :D

• Topic Author
  • I had no idea when I started this thread that I would be stirring up such a hotnet's nest of dissention.

Although I accept completely that we could all watch the Beeb using XP on our Macs, isn't one of the reasons (okay not, perhaps, one of the major reasons) that we use Macs to avoid using Windows stuff? It might not be a reason but it is certainly a benefit. If Mac users subscribe to the make-the-world-Windows conspiracy, they are furthering a corrupt, restrictive, unethical system that, if they did but know it (except that they do know it,) is actually trying to write them out of the picture.

As a Mac user I have nothing but sympathy for Windows users who believe they are using a platform that actually serves them rather than the company that supplied it. It is a great shame that they cannot see what they are missing but there are none as blind as those who don't want to see.

I had no idea that so many Mac users were prepared to simply lay down and let Microsoft walk all over them. Apple users have never been in such a strong market position to strike out for recognition as a paltform that deserves the same status more or less as Windows.

As Windows users of little vision might have gathered from reading this thread there are one or two of us who DO use Macs. And I, for one, am not going to be suckered into using anything produced by Microsoft unless I absolutely have to.

I always thought that Windows XP was just an operating system, and silly me, I thought that it did more or less what I wanted it to do. I had not realised that every time I use it I am making an ethical decision or becoming part of an international conspiracy against Mac users.

No it's not just another operating system. Try selling your computer and try installing XP on your new one and see how far you get. You bought XP? No, you didn't.

It doesn't do what you want it to. That is the whole point of this thread, The BBC want to stop you saving stuff you download from their web site. Microsoft and not you will delete it from your computer. You will have no say in the matter. OS-X and Linux don't have that sort of "ring home" control, so they won't be allowed to access the content.

Although I accept completely that we could all watch the Beeb using XP on our Macs, isn't one of the reasons (okay not, perhaps, one of the major reasons) that we use Macs to avoid using Windows stuff?

:mellow: ...................actually, I would use a Mac because of it's pure awesome-ness. I hope that's not why your using a Mac. :blink:

I would use a Mac for pretty much everything, and only start up windows when I need to use a program that only works in windows. As for the principle behind it, as long as windows doesn't tamper with my Mac, I don't care what windows does, but whatever it does, it'll be on my Mac. B)

*Bows to audience.......walks across stage towards exit......slips on banana peel.......gets up and sees the blank faces of the audience................bolts for the exit and escapes* laugh.gif

• Topic Author
  • No it's not just another operating system. Try selling your computer and try installing XP on your new one and see how far you get. You bought XP? No, you didn't.

It doesn't do what you want it to. That is the whole point of this thread, The BBC want to stop you saving stuff you download from their web site. Microsoft and not you will delete it from your computer. You will have no say in the matter. OS-X and Linux don't have that sort of "ring home" control, so they won't be allowed to access the content.

It is nice, Steve, to hear from someone who cuts through the hysteria and over-reactions and comes up with an intelligent and measured point of view.

What is wrong with you, guys? This was only a suggestion that you sign a petition. It is a simple 'okay I will' or 'no way' situation.

And, btw, who is a moaning Mac user here? However, I have to say that this is discrimination and the discriminated against have a certain right to express their dissatisfaction.

thought i'd bring you a bit more 'insider' info on this..

just got back in from working another corporate gig,this time for (PRS)PPL/VPL

thats the people in the uk who collect money from TV/radio stations,pubs,clubs etc for playing music+videos and in turn pass on money to the artist-you get the picture

Anyway,large part of the conference was dedicated to Digital Rights Managment and licensing

Pretty much them wondering how on earth they were going to cope with the growth of 'new media'

The guest speaker was the head of Rights managment for the BBC.........

I couldn't resist laugh.gif and cornered him,asking him what they thought they were doing going with the microsoft only DRM format

Part of the beebs mission+job,touched on in his speech is to provide us(and thats all of us not just microsoft users)license payers,access to the content that has been made with our money,the whole public service aspect of the beeb <_<

From a Mac point of view he agreed with me that,even considering all the reseach and results showing how important the 'i-pod generation' are to the BBC,Nobody will able to watch these clips on their i-pod

Their own research,graphs of which i've seen alot of in the last few gigs-show how important content on i-pods/PSP+mobile phones is for the future-as well the internet of course

which is another major mistake-mobiles? what is gonna happen there

Maybe this should have gone into the Vista thread as well,the DRM thing seems to be taking over,

I had him admit by the end of our chat,that they were fighting a losing battle with DRM

The only way it can work the way they want,is 'if' someone makes a format that is truly cross platform and unhackable-thats never gonna happen-

and then of course,you've got the PVR's(personal video recorders)a hard drive connected to you telly basically..what exactly happens to that as far as DRM is concerned?so i can download a clip that won't play on my computer/i-pod/mobile etc. but i can record it off any number of digital(BBC full of repeats :P )channels or get a TV card for the computer and record it that way

Anyway, the point is you can't control content this way

:unsure: sorry rant over...

Mala ;)

• Topic Author
  • Thank you for all that amazing inside info, Mala. And for making a stand for Mac users.

When I originally posted this thread I considered mentioning DRM because it is, as you say, at the core of this issue. But, quite frankly, I felt that if thinking about DRM made everyone's head hurt as much as mine I wouldn't be doing anyone any favours. Whilst I go with Steve Jobs so far as DRM goes, I also understand that media producers deserve a fair reward for use of their product. And, just how do you resolve that one?

Hear! Hear! I will never, ever under any circumstances ever use a PC with a Windows environment installed unless there is no other option.

PCs are cheaper than Macs because they're awful machines with a ###### OS. We spend more on Macs not because we're rich but because we prefere superior equipment to work on. Would a man who could afford to buy a Mercedes spend his money on a Skoda? Nah, didn't think so.

As Windows users of little vision might have gathered from reading this thread there are one or two of us who DO use Macs. And I, for one, am not going to be suckered into using anything produced by Microsoft unless I absolutely have to.