Spline Dynamics, Ripping Spline/cloth?

davidlewandowski

Hey all! I'm simulating a string "snapping" and I want to do it in cinema. I know how I want the air resistance to look, but I'm having problems getting started.

I've seen cloth simulations that rip, but I cannot seem to find the tutorial online to reference and set up my spline similarly. Any ideas how to go about setting this up?

David

ahhh daantjuh dont say something is not possible. Especially in the world of graphics. Ive heard in release10 there is spline dynamics tied into one of those modules either hair or mocca3. But i am pretty sure its there. And if im wrong about that spline dynamic thing im pretty sure it can be fudged.

Hey all! I'm simulating a string "snapping" and I want to do it in cinema. I know how I want the air resistance to look, but I'm having problems getting started.

I've seen cloth simulations that rip, but I cannot seem to find the tutorial online to reference and set up my spline similarly. Any ideas how to go about setting this up?

David

If I'm visualizing correctly you could fake it with two splines, end to end, where one would be the mirror of the other. A "snapping" string should be a snap.

If I'm visualizing correctly you could fake it with two splines, end to end, where one would be the mirror of the other. A "snapping" string should be a snap.

Hey anthony, thanks everyone for the responses.

I suppose I mean like a guitar string or something that would have extreme tension and eventually berak apart in the middle.. Like I said I know I've seen it done with Cloth, and I will probably just do that to a fine sweep nurbs instead... Any idea what happened to that tutorial? I can't find them on the site..

david

Archived