Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gordons

Too Many Challenges?

• Topic Author
  • It seems that the front page is always filled with new challenges or the results of recent challenges. Has the pendulum swung too far from a year ago when challenges were less frequent?

I don't know if it's gone too far but at least the front page isn't static. I quite like the challenges, even the ones that don't pique my interest.

At least this way the front page does show off some of the members' work, and that can be no bad thing, surely.

SKP

Yes, you're right. And I think it is good. With challenges it is possible to push oneself to get beyond what one originaly can.

The soul of the Cafe was born when 3DKiwi and 3DCrew started missing the challenges they were used when using other 3D product, so they decided to build the Cafe. Not everyone makes it till the end: Crew has left the Administration due to other business, but Kiwi is still here and by his side there are a couple of good artists helping him to maintain the Cafe and giving us the opportuninty to improve our skills and share with others what we do.

The only thing I regret is not being a millionaire to use more time to be creative with products like C4D. In the late time I am so busy, I have only the time to come over to the Cafe and see what others are doing instead of doing something myself (sic).

"I have said"

<historical note>

Only as a curiosity and quite OT: "I have said" were the closing words of the speech of a spanish intellectual in front of the supporting generals of the dictator to be Franco, after critizising the way the dictatorial movement was created and how it was dealing with the situation (civil war), he was lucky enough to be well internationally renown not to get shot for that speech.

</historical note>

Other announcements do appear. Nigel's revues & new tutorials, MAXON releases and other items of interest as and when they happen.

The challenge announcements and results at least keep the Home page dynamic.

I don't know what else could be used instead of the above. Other options would probably involve a lot of work for Nigel.

Cheers, Alan.

• Topic Author
  • I wouldn't want 3dKiwi or anyone else running the site to take offense, it's one of my favourite sites. Like a lot of others here I don't have time to join in on all these challenges, so maybe it's just envy when the front page is filled with contests I haven't entered...

Is there an opportunity for a tie-in with something like 3D Attack to generate more news and info?

Hi everyone. I'm happy to see discussion on this. Interesting that when were doing the challenges occasionally we were being pestered to have them regularly. I guess the thing is, you don't have to take part in every one if you don't want to.

As for news etc on the front page. The R10 review was an epic undertaking and prior to that we had the MoGraph review. I'm just having a breather from reviews and tutorials for a month or two to recharge my batteries. Behind the scenes I've been doing a lot of work with the recent forum upgrade and a lot of stuff that isn't visible to the members like tidying up obsolete modifications. Look out for book reviews and product / plugin reviews in the 2nd half of the year as there's a few been organized.

Tie ins with other sites - no. What I think you will see in time is a bit more news. Our new admin person Damsel / Kathy is a quite a machine at producing reviews. Unfortunately for me I have to go out and earn a living. Running the cafe is just a hobby. Rest assured, I plan to be around for quite some time and there's better to come yet.

3DKiwi