Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

StCanas

Global Illumination

• Topic Author
  • I'm probably not the first person to ask this but, how do I avoid a flickering render when using Global Illumination in an animation? I'm also using Abient Occlusion but I don't think that's the cause of the problem as I seem to remember reading (many moons ago) that GI was the culprit.

Also, any thoughts on FinalRender as I thnk one of their boasts is that it gives you flicker free animation. If they're boasting of flicker free animation does that mean that flickering is an inherent (and insurmountable) fact of life with Advanced Render?

If anyone can shed any non flickering light on this problem I'd be very greatful.

Cheers

Karl

Guest dataflow

just change in the Gi settings from "standard" to "object animation" or "camera animation"

• Topic Author
  • Thank you very much everyone.

Angelus: It was one o'clock in the morning when my flickery animation emerged from the depths of Advanced Render so I wasn't in the mood for a search and thought a quick post would give me something productive to look at in the morning. And, thanks to you good people at the Cafe, so it was! I am going to do a bit of searching today.

data: It does seem that Camera Animation might be my answer (Object Animation didn't work, by the way). I'm running a couple of tests at the moment and, so far, it looks promising. Of course, that's not to say it's the answer to all flickering situations.

Scott: It's strange that MAXON are slow to upgrade AR as they're very much on the ball when it comes updating C4D itself. Maybe we all need to pester 'em about AR! Apart from anything, there's a lot of new business to be won by improving render performance.

I'm in need of faster rendering times in general so I think I'm going to devote some effort to finding a compromise that best simulates AR. Trouble is, I've yet to find a standard lighting set up that has that certain something you get with radiosity.

By the way, there's a less than glowing exchange about FinalRender here.

http://www.3dattack.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5544

Mmmm... someone seems less than pleased!

Thank you again everyone. There's a very generous spirit among C4D users.

Cheers

Karl

If you are unable to fix the flickering issue, then this is where professional skills would come into play. This is something im always working on, and learning mroe about, but I suggest that you learn how to recreate a GI lit scene using only standard lights. Im getting close, but theres always that particular area that requires manually going in and adjusting.

Prophet64, baking a texture can be explained like this....

Set up your scene with the lighting that you want, then you use the bake command to bake the light into the texture. The shadows, and lit areas are permanently baked into the objects. Now when you render, its 95% faster. Instead of waiting long hours to render out a GI lit animation, baking the GI into the scene means you can now turn GI off, and render. You can also do this with AO, which really speeds things up if you're going heavy with the AO in a scene.

So does that mean that if you bake a scene, you can't animate changes in the lights? Because the shadows, etc... are now fixed to the object in the material?

That's one bit I've never understood. If you move an object about, the shadows, etc.... change, but if you've baked it, the shadows on it are now permanently fixed in that one position, no matter which way it's facing.... no?

Morph

If im understanding you correctly..... Ive never tried baking with animated lights. I think that main idea is that if you want to have animated lights in a scene, turn them off while baking. I may be wrong, but if you bake an animated light, its not going to look right.

prophet64, yes. usualy if I have AO in the diffusion channel of a texture, ill bake it. That way, the renderer doesnt have to take extra time to calculate the AO. However, depending on your scene/animation, baking could take several hours.... or days for huge scenes.

But that's what I mean Vilandra. Isn't that what baking is. To "bake" the way the lights hit your object into the texture so you can turn off all the lights and still get the same effect?

But my point is that surely that is only good for a still image and not an animation, because in an animation you surely don't want the texture to have the lighting info baked into it.

I am just struggling to see what the real point of baking lights into a texture is.....

Morph

Guest dataflow

if you have a scene where there are buildings/object that dont move plus a light that dont move then you would bake the lights/GI/AO etc.. to the texture.

you dont bake it to moving objects just ones that dont move

Guest dynamicrealism

As a beta tester for cebas, let me assure that the thread mentioned above in review of FR2 holds no more water now adays. Our next release will be phenomenal when it comes to stability as well as GI. just wait :)

• Topic Author
  • dynamic: I think it was a little unsporting of 3D Attack to close down that thread. On the grounds that there's no smoke without fire I think the guy may have had at least some kind of grievance, even if he was letting his emotions get the better of him. You gotta wonder if 3D Attack were worried about their ad revenue from cebas...

data: Thanks for the link. Looks like my question led to a more interesting discussion than I'd imagined it would.

Cheers

Karl