Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

StCanas

Global Illumination

Guest dynamicrealism

Any of you fellas have a scene you want rendered out in FR? give me a pm with the scene attach and ill render it out along with a render time. All intellectual rights will be maintained.

• Topic Author
  • Here's a scene I've PM'd to dynamicrealism in response to his generous offer to demonstrate FinalRender on files of our own. Below is the accompanying message so that you all know a little bit about the file and why I chose that one to test.

dynamic

OK, here's a file I've dug out. It would be great if you could render this in FinalRender so that I (we) could see an example and to get an idea of speed. Of course, for the speed test to be valid you should also render this out in Advanced Render so that we have an 'A' and 'B' created on the same system to compare. The file is set to render with Global Illumination, Ambient Occlusion and Depth of Field, and AA is set to best so it should give both renderes a good workout. Obviously we'll need a rundown of your system spec so that we know what we're dealing with.

I've chosen this file in particular as, being quite an old project, the modelling is less than efficient and as such represents a tough workload for any renderer. If we're going to see what FR can do we should be making it work for its keep. Also, there's a little anomaly in that AR's Ambient Occlusion causes the front of the iPod (the bit that sits just below the acrylic outer surface) to render very dark. This is something that I fixed in post when I did the project. It will be interesting to see if FR fares any better.

The file as it stands is a single image. If you've got time on your hands you might also want to drop the resolution down to a standard NTSC or Pal format and do a short camera pan to illustrate flicker free GI. Don't worry if you haven't got time for this as I'm sure a still will be enough to get people thinking about the possibilities that FR might offer.

I should point out that although I posted the disparaging link about FR I personally have no opinion about its capabilitirs or otherwise at this point and will be very pleased if this test shows FR in a good light*.

Cheers

Karl

* Non flickering of course!

Guest dataflow

you just have to remember everytime someone ask a question it keeps the forum alive.

iv no one had to ask and found the answer by searching then there wouldnt be as many posts as there is

i have nothing against asking its actually asking the same thing in a new topic, so many knowledge is being written and "lost" this way, i try to encurage that questions are posted in old topics thats all...

so as u say keep the forum alive i say keep the topics alive =)

Guest dataflow

but if they find the topic they wouldnt need to ask the question :D

anyway lets move on :)

• Topic Author
  • Lesia44, had a grumpy moment so sry if it was too forward, some topics just repeat alot =)

Don't worry, it's not a problem. If it hadn't been so late I would probably have done a little searching first. Anyway, it could have been worse - you could have ticked me off for not looking in the instruction manual as well!

Since starting this thread I've looked around this forum and others. General concensus seems to be that AR has a serious problem with flickering (an insermountable problem, even) yet for me, in this case at least, changing to Camera Animation seemed to do the trick.

Cheers

Karl

Guest shilts

Hi Lesia44,

I think there is some good advice here about using multiple lights in a scene.

So far in my (fairly limited) experience it is best to set up a lighting scheme in Cinema with Area and point lights (usually one area light as the main light source and a few point 'fill' lights). Once this is giving fairly satisfactory results, then add Global Illumination to help fill the light in the scene out - being careful to keep the light intensity settings (apart from the main area light) fairly low. The GI is set to around 70-85% accuracy but the strength is set to around 80-100%. With camera animation used as the GI type this can help to smooth the artifacts because the GI solution is getting plenty of help from the lights to calculate its samples. Obviously these settings are not written in stone and will vary depending upon the particulars of any given situation.

The trick is to almost paint a scene with lights - starting by using low settings (apart from the main light) - adding GI to help bounce the light around.

Oh, and because of the multiple light setup you don't have to put the GI bounces to a high level. 2 bounces saves render time whilst being just enough to ping light samples around a bit.

Also, for anyone interested there is an enormous thread on CGTalk about a VRay plugin becoming available fairly soon (apparently):

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php...age=1&pp=15

VRay really is one of the highest quality renderers available and because of the team involved (Renato Tarbella, Stefan Illaub etc) the integration with C4D promises to be very tight. I know quite a few people (myself included) are hoping that this one will prove to be the one-stop solution we've always wanted for Cinema with very fast GI rendering times and the highest quality currently available for Arch-Vis.