Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

StCanas

Global Illumination

• Topic Author
  • dynamic: I think it was a little unsporting of 3D Attack to close down that thread. On the grounds that there's no smoke without fire I think the guy may have had at least some kind of grievance, even if he was letting his emotions get the better of him. You gotta wonder if 3D Attack were worried about their ad revenue from cebas...

data: Thanks for the link. Looks like my question led to a more interesting discussion than I'd imagined it would.

Cheers

Karl

Sweet linky....understanding what it can be used for. Would be great for doing spinarounds of products, etc...

Morph

I would love to give FR a try, but my CPU doesnt support SSE, so it looks like ill be sticking with AR.

Guest dynamicrealism

Any of you fellas have a scene you want rendered out in FR? give me a pm with the scene attach and ill render it out along with a render time. All intellectual rights will be maintained.

• Topic Author
  • dynamic

Thanks, that's a very generous offer and very useful as there's no demo of FR. I'm out for the day but when I get back I'll dig something out.

Cheers

Karl

cool thread. have a question. can you bake HDRI and/or have it animated like Paul Debevec's work ?

• Topic Author
  • Here's a scene I've PM'd to dynamicrealism in response to his generous offer to demonstrate FinalRender on files of our own. Below is the accompanying message so that you all know a little bit about the file and why I chose that one to test.

dynamic

OK, here's a file I've dug out. It would be great if you could render this in FinalRender so that I (we) could see an example and to get an idea of speed. Of course, for the speed test to be valid you should also render this out in Advanced Render so that we have an 'A' and 'B' created on the same system to compare. The file is set to render with Global Illumination, Ambient Occlusion and Depth of Field, and AA is set to best so it should give both renderes a good workout. Obviously we'll need a rundown of your system spec so that we know what we're dealing with.

I've chosen this file in particular as, being quite an old project, the modelling is less than efficient and as such represents a tough workload for any renderer. If we're going to see what FR can do we should be making it work for its keep. Also, there's a little anomaly in that AR's Ambient Occlusion causes the front of the iPod (the bit that sits just below the acrylic outer surface) to render very dark. This is something that I fixed in post when I did the project. It will be interesting to see if FR fares any better.

The file as it stands is a single image. If you've got time on your hands you might also want to drop the resolution down to a standard NTSC or Pal format and do a short camera pan to illustrate flicker free GI. Don't worry if you haven't got time for this as I'm sure a still will be enough to get people thinking about the possibilities that FR might offer.

I should point out that although I posted the disparaging link about FR I personally have no opinion about its capabilitirs or otherwise at this point and will be very pleased if this test shows FR in a good light*.

Cheers

Karl

* Non flickering of course!

Lesia44, had a grumpy moment so sry if it was too forward, some topics just repeat alot =)

Guest dataflow

you just have to remember everytime someone ask a question it keeps the forum alive.

iv no one had to ask and found the answer by searching then there wouldnt be as many posts as there is