Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

StCanas

Global Illumination

• Topic Author
  • When I first started out with AR. The Camera Animation option seemed to work at first on my test scenes.

A ball object for example, moving around the scene would render very nicely.

But once I got into rendering moving charaters with it. The flickering was still there.

As I have reported, in this particular instance Camera Animation seems (for the most part at least) to have solved the problem. Having said that, your quote above is probably right on the money as the nature of the attachment will show. You'll see that the scene that gave me the problem is essentially static in nature so the Camera Animation solution is probably of limited effectiveness.

Cheers

Karl

EDIT: By the way, I should make clear that the attached file is the problem solved version (well, almost solved if you look close enough!). The original render looked like a disco at a cheap wedding!

• Topic Author
  • I think there is some good advice here about using multiple lights in a scene.

I'm glad I started this thread as this little pool of knowladge is going to send me off in some interesting directions.

Interesting news about Vray and thanks for the link.

Cheers

Karl

Im doing an outdoor scene and I was using GI(Object anim, 60% accuracy, 150 samples, min 10, max 40) and one infinite light.

In stills it looked perfect but when it came to do a test render I found there are alot of small flickering problems. Ive tried turning accuracy up but the flicker is still there. Ive tried standard GI, object and camera anim GI. Ive tried the settings on http://www.mvpny.com/RadTutMV/RadiosityTut4MV.html and they were interesting but ultimately didnt solve the problem. I cant bake the GI because there are far too many objects and some are uvmapped and others have tiling textures.

So Im left now with either having slightly flickering GI animation or...light the entire scene with default lights. So Ive made a start at this, using my 1 big infinite light( kinda like a sun) and about 7 omni lights with linear falloff placed in the worst areas of shadow.

What kind of lights should I use to emulate GI? where should I place area lights to get them to read well? I know it depends on the scene but perhaps someone has some wisdom on this.

Thanks scottA I will give that a try with my next scene I do with GI, I found that simply painting my scene with 1 infinite light for shadows and 17 coloured omni lights and area lights ended up giving me results which look almost as good as GI and it renders about 12 times faster with the standard lights than it did with object GI(6hour render now takes 30 minutes). This is a big bonus when I know Ive got lots of small flythroughs to do for the client and I can now do fast test renders and get it looking right smile.gif. Sure Im missing the little shadows on the edges of objects etc and I would like those but for the end product its not really necessary.