Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Orien

C4d <-> 3dsmax Reference?

• Topic Author
  • Hey all... I've recently decided to cross over to c4d from 3ds max... and so far I've been pleasantly surprised. The program is much more in depth than I had thought it was. I'm enjoying it!

As with any crossover, I'm tearing my hair out trying to get the exact same features that I liked from 3ds max in c4d. So far so good, but there's been a few nuances that have been bugging me.

To make it simpler for everyone here, instead of me posting a new question every two seconds... is there a reference guide out there that acts as a translator in telling me what features in max are in c4d? What they'd be called, or how to manipulate a feature to get it to mirror the same effect? Are there any people out there with extensive max experience?

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the Cafe. :thisrocks:

There is no such translation guide for that. At least not that I know of. But you have a manual and there you can find all the tools and explanation.

If you can't figure something out, feel free to ask here on the forum.

Peace,

Rich_Art. wink.gif

• Topic Author
  • That's what I feared... more heavy lifting than I was hoping. smile.gif I don't mind though.. at least its enjoyable.

Here's a few things that have been annoying me...

1) The rectangle select tool is strange. When I try to use it as a straight selection tool, like just to pick a single polygon by one click, it sometimes works, other times, does not. Is there a mode that I have to be on to get this to work correctly? Does it ONLY work as a marquee?

2) There's something missing on my display, certain aspects of the interface aren't showing up. For instance... the rectangle marquee does not appear when I click and drag, even though it functions as it should, selecting the objects that would be in the marquee. Also, for rotate/movement axis, I don't have the lines connecting the axies to each other, allowing for dual-axis movement.

Does this make sense to anyone?

If you want to select only 1 polygon than I would use the life selection tool instead of the rectangle selection tool.

The display issue can be caused by an incorrect driver of your GFX card.

The axis bands can be turned on in the view port settings.

Hit ALT +V and take a look in the attributes manager. See attachment.

Peace,

Rich_Art. wink.gif

I use max and C4D quite regularly and I find the change is quite easily bearable smile.gif. Im not sure why parts of the interface arent displaying properly...have you tried going in to the preferences and changing the display mode your running in(open gl or enhanced etc?), I found that Vista was really picky with this stuff and C4D was rather wierd.

As for the selection tools: yes the rectangle marquee only works as a rectangular marquee and is not designed to be used to click on individual parts, this can be frustrating at first but you soon get used to changing between live(normal cursor picture on icon) mode and marquee mode. Also remember to check the attributes of the selection tool you are using, make sure select visible faces only is on if thats what you want etc and finally remember to set your live selection selection tools radius or you could often select more polys than you want with each click.

What I found confusing about C4D is the lack of easy mirror/flip tools for objects( I still cant find a tool that I can press to make an object become a mirrored version of itself) and the way the symmetry modifier works can be confusing too. Phong tags are still a mystery to me too cause in max you can just select polys and set a phong value but in C4D its one big tag for the whole object? anyway I still think C4Ds interface is way more streamlined than max's archiac setup

I do believe that it was Rich_Art who pointed out last week that you can set the scale of an object to -1 to mirror it.

I do believe that it was Rich_Art who pointed out last week that you can set the scale of an object to -1 to mirror it.

oh yeah there is that but thats not very intuitive is it :P :nonono: haha wink.gif

besides it does require changing the object from size to scale mode then typing in the scale then clicking on apply(whats that like 3 clicks and sometyping?) ...I would personally prefer having a one click mirror button anyway this isnt my thread so I will shhhhh now

Guest PixelDust

SilverTalon: I'm new at C4D too, but I think you can use "Break Phong Selection"* to have different phong angle settings on different parts.

*I think that's what it's called. I've only tried it once, and I don't have C4D open right now, so I might not be totally correct.

EDIT: It's called "Break Phong Shading", and it's under the Functions menu. You can also Unbreak Phong Shading if you want to reset it.

This is not exactly ontopic , but it does touch on the migration between 3d software packages. I've set my eyes on some very interesting modelling tutorilas , problem is they're not in c4d...so i'll adress this question to the people who've had experience with other packages :

what is the easiest software to switch to after you've used c4d ? ( max, maya or xsi ) if i'm going to get a tutorial for a different software i want to make sure that i'm not pulling my hair out trying to translate it to c4d .... so please help me out with this

• Topic Author
  • Wow, thanks, Rich_Art, SilverTalon, i appreciate the help... looks like a great community here, I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.

SilverTalon, I agree with you, c4d is a ton more streamlined. Much more user-friendly, pleasing to the eye, and flexible. I think the hardest part of 3d is learning the concepts in the first place. Changing programs is just a matter of finding where all the tools are, much faster a different program the second time around.

Rareseu, I think they'd probably be all the same level to learn... I would weigh my choice on what you are planning on going into. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but for video games, you'll want to learn Max, but for film pick up Maya or XSI... or both. smile.gif

Thx for trying to help Orien but i think you missunderstood my question, i guess what i need to know is which of the those 3 software packages resembles c4d the most as far as modelling goes...

Thx for trying to help Orien but i think you missunderstood my question, i guess what i need to know is which of the those 3 software packages resembles c4d the most as far as modelling goes...

Hmm to me max to c4d and back seems quite a simple progression but I still dont know max as well as c4d even though I started with max. I know it can be harder with things like maya because some of the modelling tools we are used to either require a plugin or require a work around but then maya has other tools that we dont have etc Im no expert, Im still at uni :P . The interface on lightwave and modo though is pretty much completely different from most apps IVe ever seen so doing tutorials for those may be really wierd