Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Orien

C4d <-> 3dsmax Reference?

• Topic Author
  • Is there an align tool anywhere in C4D? Or is it a subfunction of the arrange tool?

to align stuff you could use the coordinate manager on your lower right (works for points polys edges)

or the set point value tool ( shortcut M L ) :

• Topic Author
  • That was going to be be my next question...if it was possible to align in sub-object levels just like that. Thanks Rareseu! I needed to know how to do that as well.

But I'm talking even more basic... like aligning the object itself to another object. I'm sure I must be overlooking a really obvious basic feature, but i scoured the program and can't find a thing....

transfer under the functions menu, just drag and drop what you want to transfer too...

is that what you mean?

To align objects you will need to use the snap tool with the move tool.

The difference between 3DMax and C4D (I think) is that the snap tool acts on the object's axis for C4D and in MAX you can move the object selecting one of their points or edges. To align two objects you will have to use the "modeling axis" tab from the move tool to set the axis where you want the moved object to snap. For the object to align to, you will need to choose the appropriate snap option as a target for the moving axis: point, edge, midpoint, etc. If you dont get it as you want you will need to create a point on the place the snapping should target to and set the snapping to point mode.

I think with 3DMax that's easier, but I am not a MAX user.

here's how the transfer tool works in case you're confused :

cheers, raresu laugh.gif

that will save me a lot of time, I LOVE THIS PLACE

• Topic Author
  • Awesome, thanks Rareseu! I don't want to be greedy with the questions, but is there a way to align minimum and maximum values? For instance. I want to have two boxes stacked on top of each other. How would I align in the minimum Y value of the top box with the maximum Y value of the bottom, so that they are precisely stacked?

you could use Arrange for that, say you have A and B , and you want to stack B on top of A

edit :

actually now that i think about it , this won't work, the only thing that could do the job is script, problem is don't know coffee, so here's the C version of the script and hopefully a cofee guru could translate the stuff for you :

void StackOnTop(Cube A, Cube B)

{

// temp coords, these could be discarded they're used just for clarity

real x,y,z;

x = A.pozX;

z = A.pozZ;

// when you click on an object, in the coordinates manager you see the coordinates

// of it's object axes (unless you've tempered with them they're in the center of the object)

// this means that to get the value of the highest point in the object you'd have

// to add half the height of the object to that position value

y = A.pozY + A.height/2;

B.move(x,y,z);

}

here's a pic in case my explanation wasn't clear enough :

• Topic Author
  • Thanks Rareseu... i appreciate your in-depth answers!

That's surprising that C4D doesn't have that function built in and easy to get to, I'm sure in future versions that they will...

No problem thumb_yello.gif , just ask away someone is allways willing to help, that's what's great about this forum :D