Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jamesinsincity

Starfields

Hi All,

Can you recommend a C4D method to create starfields?

I tried splattering white paint onto a black background in Photoshop, but it just doesn't look authentic.

I also tried a product called "Universe Creator" - which is great - but I'm not sure I want to buy this just yet.

Thanks,

Jim

Just download some of the real great Hubble images and put those on a sky object. There are some real nice images you can use.

Peace,

Rich_Art. wink.gif

Guest Deadulus

You could also try playing around with noise fields on a black background in Photoshop. Something that looks like an all black field, shows up as a nice basic starfield

Another option is to use the built in Starfield shader under the Surfaces list..there aren't a lot of settings that are tweakable with this but noise in a shader can work pretty well too, turn the low clip up to 60% or more and turn the global scale to 10% or less depending on the size of your model..

I made a cartoony animation recently using this technique on a sphere that enclosed the scene with the noise in the color and luminance channels..

(You can see it here if your curious http://www.graphite9.com/videoroom.html - its the 3rd clip in the list 'Steadycam Plugin test animation)

Brian

Guest maat

RE: Starfield

You can create a pretty good Galaxy using the shaders. We did a space challenge some time back and I

developed a whole series of shaders for my entry - this is one of them.

File and example enclosed.

Happy rendering!

Best regards.

Looks cool maat. Thanks for the file.

Peace,

Rich_Art. wink.gif

Very nice image and shader ..Thanks Maat

Brian

Guest miketche

Here's a cool tut for stars done in Photoshop.

Starfield Tutorial

OK Guys, don't laugh :D

Here's the Surfaces -> Starfield from C4D on a plane. Next I'll try using some Hubble imagery (is that cheating?) and / or follow the tutorial and build a Photoshop starfield texture map.

Some of the simplest things in 3D turn out to be immensely involved!

Jim

Below is also with a Hubble starfield blended in - I can't seem to keep the sun from getting chopped up...