Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Evan

Help! Project Running Slow?

Guest Evan
  • Topic Author
  • Hey gang,

I have a rush project and I need to model (and then animate) all 26 letters of the alphabet, matching real life Baby's toy blocks. I scanned the real blocks, set up color and displace maps in Photoshop and textured basic cubes.

I cut a lot of corners to get this done faster, so all is not perfect but good enough for the shots I need.

But now after setting it all up my C4D is running dog slow. A few seconds each and every time I go to grab any new item. I'm on a G5 2.5Mghz Quad.

When I removed all textures the speed picked up. So it's there. I tried removing the displacement, thinking that would be the obvious cause but it didn't help. I also set up each side of each cube with selection sets, something I normally don't use too often but I see many people do - would this cause a slow up?

My textures add up to a lot of space. but each one is only 356x356 pixels, saved in PSD format. I loaded the whole project on my server if anyone would be willing to download and take a look (24 megs):

http://www.imagefactory.tv/blocks/Blocks_3D.zip

I would really appreciate any advice. It's 5am right now and I'm going to pack it in. But it's back to tracking this down tomorrow - hopefully I'll see a nice post from one of you!!

Best regards....

Well I've looked at your file, but It's working fine here. What kind of problems do you have?

Is the rendering slow, or the viewport update?

Your scene rendered under the 5 seconds on my computer. AMD64 dual core 4600+x2 with 2gig of Ram. Not the fastest computer at the moment.

Peace,

Rich_Art. wink.gif

The file also checks out fine on my G5 Quad 2.5.

Multi-selection and moving of cubes is OK.

I re-arranged the blocks into a wall and rendered out 2048 x 1536 psd image in about 25 secs.

All this with Displacement enabled and default (high) Render Depth settings.

Need more details of the actual problem you are experiencing.

Cheers, Alan.

i've had a quick look at your file,the blocks render in about 1 sec on my G5dual 2.7 with 8MG RAM,I think if you are having problems its probably cos of the tex you have saved them all as 300dpi way bigger than you need for an animation(with print would need more-dependant on print size required)

i could be totally wrong here but i would resave them as 72 dpi,

having said that,i just made a quick basic animation with the blocks and this will even run alright in the editor window

mala wink.gif

...ah beaten by the haggis flinger again...

...ah beaten by the haggis flinger again...

Haggis Flinging is a banned sport under recent EU Legislation. :nonono:

Too many spectators were being knocked unconcious by incoming Haggii, paying more attention to the amber nectar rather than the sport itself. wink.gif

Cheers, Alan.

..too true,but then the flingin' of haggis has only ever been a sideshow to the real sport of consuming the drink anyway,so i'm sure it won't be missed..

Just to confirm mala's testing method. I did the same not so scientific change of resolution and when I rendered in the viewport it took my dusty 533 dual 1min 16 secs. When I switched the maps to the 72dpi (just the letter map) it rendered at 1min 7 secs so that just might help you a bit

Guest dataflow
  • Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

for me navigating the scene was a bit slow but i have a slow computer.

but i could still work with it.

i would make the image res lower

Guest Evan
  • Topic Author

Wow! Thanks everyone for looking into this and bothering with the download! Keep the blocks and use them if you ever want - no copyright from me on this one!! All are welcome...

As for the problem - It's not the rendering (Since I haven't even gotten that far myself) - and once I get the viewport moving it is fast.

The problem is with the rest of the app. If I select a letter and try to move it, for example, and then try to select another one.. etc... The program spins and waits in between each and every action! Very frustrating. I'm not sure if I have something set wrong but I've gone over preferences and am not seeing something amiss...

Once again I'm on a Apple G5 -Quad, running System 10.4.8, 2 gigs ram, C$D version 10.0

All of this should be pretty fast! I haven't encountered other problems before.

A thought: I installed adobe CS3 design suite this week. I wonder if there could be a conflict? I doubt it though since I've already tracked this to a texture issue.

ALSO: I'm thinking of trying to simplify the texturing and make it all one big UV map for each letter. Wonder if that will help? Just that it is MORE work!!!

Thanks again

-Evan

Guest Evan
  • Topic Author

I tried applying everything into a layer and then in that layer turning off all deformers/generators etc... but it's not helping.