Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest paddi22

Edge Shared By Two Polygons?

Guest paddi22
  • Topic Author
  • Hi,

When i go to relax the UV of my model in Bodypaint I keep getting the error message 'an edge is shared by more than two polygons'. It's quite a complex model and I have double checked it a load of times and can't find what the problem is.

I know its a long shot but does anyone have any tips as to how to track down problem poly's or see what polygon its refering to?

Or is there any plugin's or processes you can use to troubleshoot your model in general?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

hmm have you tried dropping it under a hypernurb? That usually has very noticeable results..

Guest paddi22
  • Topic Author
  • yep, just can't spot it at all!

It is outright impossible to have an edge shared by more than two polygons, but I have encountered the exact same problem. Lucky you! spoton.gif

Here's the solution: When you use the relax function it will give that error message, and then it will light up some polygons in the uv editor. That is the area that has the edge shared by more that two polygons. What you do is find the edge that is overlapping the polygon and fix it so that it's not overlapping. mf_bookread.gif

Or you could just upload your scene and I'll fix it. :)

It's not impossible at all. It is very easy to create this situation. Make a plane object with 3 divisions each way. Make it editable. Then select the middle poly. Extrude with caps on. You will now have 4 edges that are shared by 3 polys.

This is geometrically OK but you can't UV map this as the topology is wrong.

No one asked you Steve. :)

I know you can create it, it's just that relax doesn't like it. :nonono:

The way to find them in the model is to select all the points of an object then use Window-> Selection/Structure Info. Under the strucure tab, there is an analysis of how many polygons use each point. What you are looking for are the points listed under >4 polys. Deselect all the points then click the little plus sign. All the points that are shared by more than 4 polys will be highlighted. These are the ones that are likely to form or partially form the > 2 poly edges. There are exceptions, particularly where thare are a lot of triangles involved, but it will give a clue.

Guest paddi22
  • Topic Author
  • thanks for that both of you, problem solved now cheers