Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ducroz

Align To Spline Question

• Topic Author
  • so, i've got a circle spline with a camera attached to it using the 'align to spline tag'. i have then animated the position from 0 to 100, and so the camera turns around the circle once.

what i want is to make the camera turn around the circle more than once. Overriding the position setting in the 'align to spline tag' does not work. What I think I have to do is in the timeline window select 'functions' then 'shapes' then 'formula' and write a formula to do this. I don't know what the formula should be or if there is another way to do this.

thanks for any help.

Here's a simple roflmao.gif way to control it with XPresso. (One of many.)

In the file, select the Control Null. This will show two user Data sliders, Loops and Duration.

The Duration sets the upper value in the RangeMapper. This sets the time in frames for one rotation around the spline.

The Loops sets the number of rotations around the spline over the time set by the Duration.

Complicated to read but just twiddle. You will soon get the hang of it. wink.gif

BTW, the Camera is under its own null so that you can raise or lower the viewpoint as it travels along the path.

It also has a Target Tag and null.

HTH. Cheers, Alan.

See Downloads XPresso Section: Align_Repeat.c4d.zip

Another way without Xpresso is instead of using a circle spline use a helix. Set the end angle as a multiple of 360 for the number of orbits you want and the height to 0. Works.

SKP

• Topic Author
  • both ways work, thanks heaps for the help!!!

Brian. The files I post are not particularly complex and I still have a way to go before I can take up my consultancy. smile.gif

The best way I have found to learn about XPresso is to take working samples and pull them apart.

First, read the manual for an over-view of the range of nodes and their basic functions. When you start building up a group, refer back to the manual and dig deeper into the function.

There are (sadly only) a few good sites for reference examples and one or two which are actual 'teaching' resources.

Here's a list which I suggest you bookmark and refer to frequently.

A good one for the absolute noob basics is Today-Plus. Followed by our own Grand Master Srek.

Rui (Mac) Batista, Base80, C4D Jack, XPresso24 (Free registration required). These have good reference samples and explanations.

CGTalk usually has some good working samples popping up.

Try finding a solution to other peoples problems when they get posted on the forum. It gives you the challenge to work on something which you might never have thought of by yourself. If you don't solve the problem, pull the final working solution apart and find the bit you missed. Anything you don't understand in the file, ask for an explanation of how it works.

Add Comments & Remarks as you build your own groups and use colours for a block or stream within the group. Do the same with any samples you pull apart.

Build up a library of samples which you come across and utilize them for your own purposes.

Finally: mf_bookread.gif

There is just too much to absorb by simply guddling around.

HTH. Cheers, Alan.