Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

markberlin

Curtain

• Topic Author
  • Hi all,

me again with a probably very easy to answer question.

I want to make a curtain which moves from left to right on a pole (whatever you call that thing) and folds itself.

So I tried just a plane with a cylinder and gave the plane a clothilde tag and the cylinder a collission tag and I used a belt. Looks like it would word fine expept the curtain will not stand still. I mean everytime I hit play it just crumbles up. It's probably just some settings in clothilde but I cannot find it. Maybe someone knows what I mean and can help me.

I attach some testfile, maybe it makes it clearer what I mean. Thanks in advance.

Mark

I'm no expert at this, but the cube you're using to move the curtain can't really affect it, here's an ideea off the top of my head :

- make some rings that belt to the curtain, and put the tube through the rings

- use dynamics to move the rings

Nope a second thought i think i have a simpler solution check the scene file, i just animated the ring moving, i didn't mess with the setting on the tags

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the help, but the cube does effect the plane like I want it too. I just want the plane not bouncing up and down after I push the play button. I just want the plane to be a curtain which hangs down - any idea what I mean?

that's just fixed by fidelling with the settings of the cloth tag

You will need to give the cloth time to relax at the beginning of the animation to settle down before you start the movement.

It is quite a good idea to make a vertex map for the mass of the cloth when making a curtain as they tend to have a heavy lining at the bottom to stop it being all floaty in real life.

What is the material for your curtain? A velvet curtain for example should have a much higher mass than a silk one. It will change the way it behaves.

The key to good cloth simulation is all about the settings but more importantly the vertex maps for the different settings. The seams on cloth for example would have a higher stiffness than areas without, so you need to make a vertex map to comply with this.

Morph

• Topic Author
  • ohh, I didn't think about the vertex map - have to try it ;) after I reinstalled my C4D :(

If I was at home I would be able to maybe put together a scene file for you!

I did something like this at work last year, though it was a curved curtain which was REALLY difficult!

But for a straight curtain rail, I have just thought of the perfect way to do the curtain rings so they behave properly!

Here's a hint (cos I wanna try it first, hehe), check out Cactus Dan's piston setup from the other week! wink.gif

L8rs

Morph