Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

morpheus

Sss

• Topic Author
  • A nice in depth tutorial on using this wonderful feature properly would be GREAT!

Morph

I agree.

Me to!

SSS= Sub Surface Scattering ?

just wondering.

• Topic Author
  • The way it works isn't rocket science, but getting Cinema to to what you want seems to be.

The interface is way too overcomplicated with too many settings for the same kind of thing.

Morph

the problem with c4d SSS...or just sss in general is that it is scene specific.

So it will work differently or look different with

different size objects

different materials

different types of lights

different intensitys of light

so theres no one size fits all settings...its a bit like learning how to use global illumunation settings

Guest Krodil

This is just a quick test.. But heck its fun to work with. :)

post-32952-1228507397_thumb.jpg

Guest MilesBaskett

SilverTalon is right on, you need to almost create a scene "standard" that you use over and over. Then you know how stuff will behave/look in your standard scene set-up. Also, using black&white image maps also help control varied depth across a surface using SSS.

If I may join the conversation, let me say that I've been getting some quite predictable results using SSS in C4D...

Take a look at my attachment here: they are just fantasy objects which represent nothing, but they illustrate the dramatic use of SSS.

There are about four or five key things one must understand.... but once one does, the SSS magic is easier to create.

Of course our 3DKiwi is the master of the skillful video tutorial, but I'm thinking of possibly creating one tomorrow on this elusive subject.

I am SO-O not a mathmatician, nor a master of C4D, nor of Optics. I simply buckled down and tried, by trial-and-error, to figure out just how SSS could work--- since it is a look I happen to love. You know, for things like jade, coral, marble, milk, skin, cheese, sushi, blood, wax, melon, apples, frosted glass, raw chicken, etc., etc., etc., and if I can help someone, in plain language, get started with SSS, then it will be worth it...

If I can get my CAMTASIA chops working tomorrow, I'll do a video tut. Of course, 3DKiwi and other Mods must OK it if they think it's too daft. :signthankspin:

:biggrin: I look forward to it!

• Topic Author
  • This thread just keeps on resurfacing.

I guess there just aint any SSS tutorials out there.

I tell you who is good at SSS...

Oh Mr Rantin Al....... beg.gif

Morph