Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

morpheus

Sss

Wow! This stuff is terrific! Very professional and very clear commentary. beerchug.gif

anyone ever think about using dispersion or blur the transparency.

takes longer to render but it works

I wish there was just a folder full of SSS materials already made. Seems if that was the case it would be all down to light positon and color changes in the material editor.

Exactly so. That's why it's better for a person to come up with an SSS solution himself... so many factors involved. I didn't mention this in the Tut, but you will also notice that the little shader preview you get in your Material Editor, when you're dialing up an SSS effect, is often WAY-Y-Y different from the actual results you're getting in your Viewport renders. Might as well disregard it, even.

Personally I don't even use the sss shader to make SSS, I just up the blurriness in the transparency channel to something like 5% or what ever.

Course in v11 you also get "absorption- color and distance" in the transparency channel.

may take longer, but it gives way better results.

I also messed around with the sss shader for 2months straight trying to make at least a good shader with it.

nothing......I gave up.......

I do hope you'll at least give my Tut a try, mrkucz.

My next experiments will be to COMBINE both the SSS shader... and the transparency effects you mention. (Some very old jade, for example, has a translucent center, but transparent edges.)

Hi Rasputin, thanks for the cool tutorial...really got a lot out of that.

Cheers,

Dave

Of coarse I'm gonna...........

Alway open for something i mighta missed or overlooked......

Have to get back to ya with the result though........

Guest Damsel

Thank you so much Rasputin! I can't wait to watch it and learn more so I can add SSS to my "ear" image. ;-) Thanks for sharing it!

Guest FR3SH

Hi Rasputin

Your tutorial is realy great but I have some problems. My problem is when I have something inside my model such like eyes. The SSS goes crazy. When I think about it it's seems to do

the right thing but I would like to avoid this funny look of my eyes in my skin. The thicknes also seems does not work and I have

white area in my eyes (increasing od thickness parameter does not work). Take a look on the picture. Maybe you have a solution for this?

PS. I found that good look of SSS is when the light is behind the model

Hi FR3SH,

I'm pretty sure the problem you're experiencng is down to Minimum Thickness, after all. Your value is still too low. You will want to gradually increase that Minimum Thickness value.... until those undesirable inner glows start looking more natural... You will want to start with a low value there.... then gradually increase that value. Eventually the undesirable glowing wll go away... or at least start looking more natural.

I also suggest you add something to your Material in the COLOR CHannel.... some kind of texture.

A more advanced solution here would be to create a LAYER shader in your Luminance Channel.... Inside the LAYER, you'll want to have SSS on the bottom, and a Bitmap on the top. The Bitmap's blend mode should be Multiply, while the SSS shader's blend mode should be Normal.

Using an "airbrush" style paintbrush in BODY PAINT, you can paint that Bitmap varying shades of gray.... Go into 3D projection paint mode. Paint it white where you need the most glow, and paint it darker greys where you are experiencing too much glow. Give the Bitmap a little Gaussian Blur here and there, to smooth it out, if necessary.

I may publish another SSS tut which gives some more advanced techniques like this one...

P.S. Yes, I would think that a light behind a human head would be a good place for it.... as it would cause the ears to glow red... just as they tend to do on real humans in real life...

Wow.........

You explained things almost as good as kiwi.......

I am glad I watched you videos, you covered almost everything i missed and overlooked and/or just didn't get.

Thanks for covering this subject in such great detail, like i mentioned I really don't use it on account of no good clarity or specific working of each setting and what there data refers to.

And you covered specifically that.

So again Thanks

Guest FR3SH

Ok more tests :signthankspin:

even I go futher in the thickness parameter it's still give me nothing. Take a look thickness is 100m :(

And here is 450m. The problem is still there on the ear and the balls inside my model are also visible, when you take a closer look

Overall when I go further maybe this goes away but the SSS is toooooo dark

I have tried tweak other parameters but with no result. Also noticed that is something strange goes in my neck. My neck is longer but

the SSS goes only for some point take a closer look to the first picture.

I will try to set up this trick whith the layer tomorrow and we will see.

I am looking forward to see your second TUTORIAL and I cant wait to see it.

Before this maybe you have an other idea to solve this??

PS. I have everything set the texture on the color the specular maps normal maps but I would like to set up the SSS first :)