Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dhpdigital

Caustics

• Topic Author
  • Hi,

Can anybody help with caustics? I don't seem to be able to get any results at all. I have the options switched on in the render tab and the light. :angry:

for caustics to work, the object needs to have reflection turned on in the material.

• Topic Author
  • It has. reflection and transparency.

• Topic Author
  • Here's the file if any of you kind people care to see it.

ill take a look at it..... smile.gif

Ok, I took a look at your scene, and since its R10, I wasnt able to save it. (I only have the demo), but I did make a few changes. Heres what I did, and it produced some subtle caustics.

1. Caustics in the render settings was turned off. I turned surface caustics on, and gave it a strength of 150%.

2. For the light, you had "volumetric caustics" turned on. So I turned it off, and enabled "surface caustics". I set the strength to 150%, and set the photons to 600000.

3. I selected the wine glass object, selected all the poly's (Ctrl+a) and then used the extrude tool to give it some thickness. Be sure to enable "create caps" in the extrude tool attributes.

4. I placed the glass on the plane. It was hovering slightly above it.

5. I changed your shaders up some, and placed my own HDR in a sky object to give the glass some reflected highlights.

6. For the glass and wine shaders, disable the color channels, and set the color you want using the transparency channel color sliders.

Here is the result I came up with. Just the one spotlight. No GI. You can see the faint caustics around the shadow of the glass.

Hi I had a look as well

there was no thickness to the bowl of the glass

glass needs good reflections(32%) and refraction index of 1.52 with fresnel selected

wine reflection at 20% refraction at 1.33 and fresnel selected

then for better caustics use spot light with volumetric visible enabled the light beem should pass through the glass of wine use the caustic settics given above

I have included glass and wine with correct materials hope this helps

I have made a scene to explain you will need to add you own HDRI image to the sky for better reflections on the glass without hdri the glass will look flat and boring

Allan

• Topic Author
  • Thanks both of you for taking the time to do this. I will play around with the scene and see what I get. spoton.gif

• Topic Author
  • Here's the render with the new settings. I love the way the light refracts throught the base of the glass. Thanks again for the help. spoton.gif

Glad to be of help

Allan