Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest stinky666

Environment

Guest stinky666
  • Topic Author
  • Im very new to c4d, and i love it so far, and am trying to grasp the basics.

Currently I can make an abstract C4D fine, i can do materials fine, and floors and skys.

Ive seen a C4D where they have a floor of a checkeredboard, and then their BG or 'wall' is some other mat./pattern.

I was wondering how to do this? I can make the floor into a pattern, thats reasonably easy, but how can i do both?

I was told that i have to use environment to do the BG pattern, but I am unsure.

Any and all help much appreciated.

Guest stinky666
  • Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

Apologese if Im not allowed to bump, but it has been like 5 days.

Im sure someone here can help me, since alot of you guys are very experienced with C4D, I would really love to know how to do this..

Hi. It could be that you're not explaining yourself very clearly.

For a background image it's just a matter of creating a background object and applying a material to it. There's various other ways as well.

3DKiwi

or put put a refference image up of the look you want?

Guest stinky666
  • Topic Author

Apologese. Here we go. :)

Notice how this has a BG and a floor? And they join onto each other really nicely?

Someone told me I have to use environment, and I cant find a tutorial for using environment.

(C4D example found on DevianArt.)

Also, they are the same patterns right? The floor one and the bg one, how do you make it so the BG one would be bigger squares than the floor one?

Oh and 3DKiwi, where is a background object ? How would I do that.

It may not be that I have to use environment, thats just what I was told, Im still really new to C4D, so I am not sure at all.

All help appreciated :)

Theres no environment object in that scene. That image looks like a plane for the floor, and another plane for the back wall. Or you could even use a cube and resize it for the wall.

The textures are just procedural shaders within C4D. One for the floor, then another for the wall, but resized.

Environment objects are typically used with pyrocluster volume tracers... or if you want to create a thick fog.

stinky666 - When you can't find things that members like myself mention try looking it up in the manual mf_bookread.gif

The size of the image is far too large. Please compress images before uploading. That should reduce to under 200kb without any problems.

3DKiwi

Guest SteezKraka
  • Topic Author

Hey I think I know what your trying to do. In the example image you showed this person created two totally different materials, applying one to the wall, and one to the floor. As Vilandra said, this could either be two planes intersecting each other, or a cube with 3 or so of its walls deleted. If you approach a scene with a cube I find it easiest to add a material that I want for either the floor or the wall to the entire cube. Then I select one face of the cube (wall or floor) with the poly selection tool, make another seperate material, and simply drag it onto the selected face. The cube will then automatically gain a polygon selection tag, which contains the new material. I don't know which version of C4D you have, so I'm not sure if you will be able to drag a material directly onto the viewport or not.

Hope this helped, as my explaining can get a little abstract laugh.gif

Peace

Nate

Guest stinky666
  • Topic Author

Thanks so much so far everyone, even though Im just like "what the..." 'cos you guys are all just talking what seems to me like jibber jabber lol.. You must remember Im a complete newb to C4D, so I dont know where everythign is, I dont know what everythign is, unlike you guys. lol

ridix: Could I possibly have the mat you made for that, to see exactly what you did, 'cos I just dont understand what you have done. I made a new mat. and went to Color, and I could only either add it as Lumas or Layer, I couldnt do Layer of Lumas. And I cant even find Cell Noise anywhere.

Guest dataflow
  • Topic Author

if you dont understand what people are talking about i suggest you go back to basics.

youll found good tutorials in the tut section of the cafe that will help