• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Allufrio

Sli Cards

Guest Allufrio
  • Topic Author
  • Ok, so I have a little understanding of how SLI card actually work - but very little...

As I see it, it works pretty much like duals core processors - as in dual core works like 2 processors - Sli mean you can combine two cards

E.G - correct me if I'm wrong -

I've just purchased a BFG 620MB PciE 8800GTS Graphics Card - Sli ready...now, can I add another other PCi Express card to this card or does the other have to be sli enabled too...

is it ok buying a top end graphics card and then combining it with a lower end card - or does it work like ram in the sense that it'll use the slower chip's bus speed instead??

man - this is so confusing...?!

Guest BlackNecro
  • Topic Author
  • Well you need the same card two times and then you can connect them with a small plug/bridge thingy.

So if you got your BFG 620MB PciE 8800GTS you need a second one for SLI.

Guest Allufrio
  • Topic Author
  • fk - you sure I need the exact same card - last i heard any other sli enabled pci express will suffice...

Guest BlackNecro
  • Topic Author
  • Well I just looked some stuff up and I was wrong - this is what wikipedia says:

Cards from two separate retail companies will work together in SLI mode, but they must be the same GPU model (e.g. G70, G73, G80, etc). The cards may have different BIOS revisions, different default clock speeds, or even different memory sizes. However, the fastest card - or the card with more memory - will run at the speed of the slower card or disable its additional memory

Allufrio, there's a topic over on 3D Fluff on graphics cards which I think pretty well argues against the point of buying top end cards for C4D, or indeed for any non-CAD application. I don't know about SLI cards but I think a person could quite easily spend money unwisely.

Again SLI cards may be different but the same 3D Fluff thread makes the point that while C4D can utilise multiple CPUs it can only utilise one GPU.

SKP

I may not be good but I'm slow.

Guest Allufrio
  • Topic Author
  • just waht I thought regarding two different cards...thx for the heads up SKp but I mainly asked the question for gaming....although i didn't really know that C4D was only capable of taking advantage of a single card on an SLI ready machine....makes sense for MAXON to make it a point of getting that up and running on r10.5 or 11

SLI does work with CINEMA 4D, it's just that it does not give you any advantage. This is due to SLI beeing completely targeted and optimized to games, 3D apps and CAD apps work very differently here and can't take advantage of SLI.

Cheers

Bjorn

even if you plan on using you system for gaming sli is still a questionable investement due to the fact that performance bonuses are obvious only at high resolution, i think there's a chart on tom's hardware that shows this