• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Damsel

Heavy Equipment

Guest Damsel
  • Topic Author
  • I've done a lot of Googling with no results. Has anyone ever come across a site with reference images (top, side, front and back) or blueprints of heavy equipment? ie... bulldozers, Catapillar brand equipment, backhoes, etc.? TIA for any ideas.

Here's a cool JCB spin around.

http://www.web3d.co.uk/RecentPortfolio/jcb/jcb.html

You can just get screen grabs.

The spec sheet may be worth a look at. They are mostly side views

but fairly good pics.

Click on the Spec sheets and down load the product brochure.

http://unitedkingdom.cat.com/cda/layout?m=...p;location=drop

If in doubt, scream and shout.

Stuff like this?

I got that out of a Caterpillar product brochure downloaded from here: http://unitedkingdom.cat.com/cda/layout?m=65265&x=7

I'm guessing other bits of equipment will have similar brochures. I didn't dig deeply. That came off the first try.

SKP

I must be going blind as well as daft for I didn't see James's edit. Still, better to have two than none.

I may not be good but I'm slow.

The beauty of the Caterpillar PDF brochure is that the spec sheet page is in vector format. :)

Extract the single spec sheet page and save it. Open in Illustrator and you can select individual components and either hide them to reveal the underlying details or save the component itself.

For example, you can select the backhoe and hide it. This will reveal ALL the details of the rear elevation of the cabin profile.

Likewise for the wheels, hide them and you reveal the side elevation.

You also get the precise location of pivot points for all the mechanical linkages, pistons and their dimensions.

Parts which you wouldn't normally see with the usual modeling 'blueprints' are all there for extraction.

It does take a bit of work in Illustrator to optimize the vector line art as there are often some ridiculous details such as wheel nuts, but at the end of it you have vector profiles which can be opened directly in C4D.

A couple of reference images for the viewports can be rendered out as well.

The only drawback is that there is seldom a top view diagram. I was going to complain in the strongest terms about this shoddiness. :thumbdown:

JCB also produce vector spec PDF's. Check them out.

If you want the real Big Toys for Big Boys, check out TEREX Mining. Vector specs but not quite as detailed as JCB.

Cheers, Alan.

Repeat after me: Path spline in TOP, profile in FRONT.

Do I see a trend? One question on heavy equipment, 3 answers, all from Scots.

SKP

I may not be good but I'm slow.

laugh.gif The true land of the Big Boys. Where there's muck you'll find a Scotsman waddling about in the middle of it. :)

Slouch over at the Portal has a fully rigged Hitachi Digger in the downloads.

If you need it for commercial use, ask him. I'm sure he will help you out, even tho' he isn't Scottish. wink.gif

Cheers, Alan.

Repeat after me: Path spline in TOP, profile in FRONT.

I was thinking the same when I saw your reply but then Rantin Al put the cherry on the cake.

I'll have to check with my psychiatrist on what this all means.

If in doubt, scream and shout.

Guest Damsel
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks so much for all of the info. I see where the brochures are great and I did also get some screenshots of the Catapillar. As for the comment on Scotsmen and Heavy Equipment, I'm not touching that with a ten foot pole. :)