Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3doraemon

Coreldraw To Spline Object?

• Topic Author
  • I was working through the watch tutorial from 3D World and as I finished the watch hands, it seemed like that would be an ideal application of drawing the hands in a vector art program, like CorelDraw in my case, and using that profile for a spline object to extrude. Is there an easy way to use these programs together?

• Topic Author
  • I think I found a solution to the problem. I searched on the internets with The Google and found something for Adobe Illustrator. Now to see if the same solution can be used with CorelDraw. I know you can save as .ai files, hopefully I can get the right version to work.

http://illustrator.digitalmedianet.com/art...le.jsp?id=91467

Just make sure that you use Illustrator v.8.ai when saving from CorelDraw.

It might work OK with bare vectors but I've had problems before when using Corel generated files in Illy.

Cheers, Alan.

• Topic Author
  • The technique seems to work well, once I saved back to version 8. The ornate hand stared as a simple illustration in CorelDraw. Most of this could be done with C4D, but for really complex shapes I think the potential to use a vector program would really speed things up. I'll try to get a more finished product together soon.

Thanks to all, as usual!

Guest Tony Lansbury

I sometimes use a CAD program on my Mac (Turbocad - simple but effective); and this exports to Illustrator.

Haven't found a way to export the CAD splines so that they are "joined up", but there is a lovely little filter for Illustrator called "Concatenate" (rj-graffix.com). Just select the splines you want joined, apply the filter ... Voila! Excellent, and the filter is good value for money. Available for both Mac and Windows.

This method means an indirect route from CAD to C4D, with perfect results every time.

All the best - TL