Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Allufrio

The Truth Is Out There....

Guest Allufrio
  • Topic Author
  • Ok, so, I've probably been at C4D for about six-seven months or so - cannot remember too well but thereabouts...was using Swift3D before this, been fifteen months involved in 3D...

Now here's the thing, how many time do you have to model something in order to get it into your head...I mean, I've done many tutorials and many of them have come out looking amazing but when i try doing something without tutorials I tend to struggle a lot....

What I'm saying is, could you pro's out there tell me how long it's taken you to perfect your skills in C4D - for example, how many human heads have you attempted to create before you've actually modelled something that begins to resemble an actual human head?

C4D is amazing and I love it to bits - it's just I wanna see myself at the stage where I can say, alright - and today I'll begin modelling an Evolution and I hope to at least get the bonnet and side panels sorted....err....hmm......right....

I am no pro but as i see it, the best way to learn is to learn techniques. Following project based tutorials is nice and fun but it won't help you get better unless you understand the "why" factor of the steps. You need to find the modeling technique you are most comfortable with. Recently, i find it most comfortable to work with point to point modeling.

You need to be able to think ahead and plan how your mesh should look and be able to conclude from that what to do at the current stage. I guess this comes with experience and a lot of trial and error. Do some project based tutorials, try and understand the "why" factor of things and then use what you learned on your own idea. You will rarely get it right from the first time, it will more likely take you quiet a few attempts till you master the technique but you will get there.

C4d is the most user friendly app i can think of. The interface is not an obstacle, nor is the learning curve.

i think its all about understanding how subdivisions work and planing ahead where the details will be thus positioning the loops and mesh in advance... many times i find myself doing some part without even checking how it looks under HN until its finished, no details yet, but mesh all prepared to make finishig loop cuts and its done, i gues i dont make any sence now, but when you master it sooner or later it will come to you =)

Ditto to Angelus! Plan ahead! Draw plans on a piece of paper if you need to. Worst thing is getting really far and then getting stuck with something that could have been sorted out at the beginning.

As for human heads, etc... practice. I just keep on modelling things around me. At the moment I am going through my entire apartment modelling all the furniture one at a time, learning tons of new stuff as I go along!

Morph

I'd hardly call myself a pro but if helps I often have try several ways to model something. In my recent dog tutorial I had to figure out doing the toes on feet and tried a number of different ways until I came with something.

If you're looking to learn car modelling I would recommend O D 1's truck modelling DVD. I think beginners would struggle with the Porsche one and the author uses some dodgy techniques in places. Other times he seems unaware that the tool he is trying to use has options that will allow it to do what he wants much more easily.

3DKiwi

The best way to learn how to model is to practice, practice and more practice. Especially organic stuff! I spent

an entire month a few years ago just modeling human heads, hands and feet. By the time I was done

I found it very easy to model a human being pretty quickly. The same can be applied to cars, boats or anything else. wink.gif

Guest Allufrio
  • Topic Author
  • whoa, didn't expect so many replies...thx guys......

Yeah, I totally understand what you mean practise practise practise.....

regarding the Porsche, it's the same car Kiwi's been doing - I guess we all end up adapting it a little, although I think SKP did it to and his looked more like the tut's car....great work throughout from most of the members that have tried it...and like kiwi mentioned - the guy does use some weird methods.... anyhow, you can find it on the Cafe's banner....keep refreshing the page till it pops up...

Anyway - I like the idea about modelling stuff you find around your home, I mean nothing could be easier than modelling something you can physically look at from all angles....What I've been doing lately is redoing the tutorials and trying to get some things into my thick skull - What i find is that no matter how many time you watch it the entire modelling process cannot be learnt - I mean, I can learn how to use tools ect...but the main issue in 3D modelling is the planning phase - as mentioned already, get it wrong and you could end up having to scrap or tweak a mesh so much it hurts - getting it right first time round is what I hope to be able to do in the near future....hell, I still struggle getting simple things done - on the other hand I'm quite happy with some of my model thus far...

Anyhow, will keep at it - I'm sure that with the Cafe's help I'll be looking at this thread in a years time and thinking - man, I've come a long way since..... smile.gif

just to chime in here, i couldn't agree more with how important planning is....if you are gonna make a job out of 3d, its all time reliant...in my experience all briefs will evolve and there will always be the phone call saying"i'm sure i said it was red and moved to left"-replace with "no..... your other left"

planning...and the client giving the right info....

the same goes for modeling,i can't remember the amount of times,i have set off to model something blindly and ended up with a model,which whilst it does the job,is horribly high poly,so i end up spending ages working it simple again....bad planning!

time is money...people

practice,practice,practice...but also put that practice into planning

....rah rah...sorry bit drunk Coliberts fault....

BTW - I thought the thread title had something to do with the X-Files smile.gif

3DKiwi

BTW - I thought the thread title had something to do with the X-Files :)

3DKiwi

I thought that Fox Mulder was a member of the Cafe? roflmao.gif

Practice and planning is the key as already mentioned. Start with a rough blocking model and gradually add increasing levels of detail to the overall model. Don't over detail one small section at a time. You will never finish it.

A great word is "Enough!" A bad word is "Just.."

Learn different techniques and explore all the options in each tool.

I spent hours welding individual points until I learned about the Optimize command.

Try something different just for the change. It doesn't have to be anything impressive or big. Try a detailed component from the innards of a washing machine or something equally banal. There is as much work in doing something like that as there is in a car body.

Don't feel swamped and take breaks away from 3D altogether. I know it's hard but keep a real life. wink.gif

Cheers, Alan.

well said the man wit the beard...a double for him barman