Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Cian

10.5 Dwg Import Problum.

Guest Cian
  • Topic Author
  • Just installed the 10.5 upgrade today and the first thing I did was import a dwg file.

The file comes in really messy with lines all over the place and things missing. The viewport becomes really slow aswell. Not good at all.

I have recieved dwg files from engineers who use autocad and I can open them in Archicad. No problems. When I open their files in Archicad I see exactly what the engineer designed. No slow viewport or anything.

Cinema cant seem to handle dwg very well. :thumbdown:

This was the main reason for jumping up to 10.5.

Anyone else having this problum?

Cian.

Hi Cian

Do you want to send me one of the problem dwg files and I will have a look for you to see what happens here.

Cheers

Steve

Guest Cian
  • Topic Author
  • Hi Steve.

Thanks for the reply. Below is the autocad dwg file along with two screen shots of what

the file should look like which I opened in archicad.

File.

Screen shots.

Thanks again.

Cian.

That is a 3D dwg file isn't it? C4D dwg import only works with 3D models like this.

3DKiwi

Yep it opens up in solidworks ok and in turbocad too, but comes through in bits and pieces in 10.5(demo) which is less than helpful. It comes up with a message this drawing contains unsupported entities or somthing like that.

Hope you find a solution.

Cheers

Steve

Guest Cian
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks Kiwi and Steve.

That file I have is a 2d plan so thats why it wouldn't open.

I always thought .dwg was only 2d but i guess not.

It would be nice if you could import a 2d .dwg plan and use it as a referance image.

In archicad you can trace the dwg lines easily as you can snap walls and objects to these lines.

O well.

Thanks.

Cian.

I'm sure the 2d version of dwg import would be a welcomed addition by many smile.gif

Steve

hmm..well i've just managed to open a autocad(latest version) dwg and a autocad2000 dwg...both 2D dwg

no slow viewport and everything cool-except one weird thing as the file is opened i get a warning in French...why french? i've got the english version of cinema.

this wouldn't work before 10.5 for me

when i open your file...yep the viewport is very slow,but you've got a load of splines in that file,quite a few instances as well.

do you need all that info for your model?

i would be tempted to edit the dwg file and get rid of stuff you won't need in cinema..dimensions,borders,text etc.

i also got an error when unzipping your file,so maybe the dwg is a bit dodgy as well?

No problems here. I can unzip it and open it in R10.5.

Peace,

Rich_Art. wink.gif

René, what scale settings are you using in the dwg import prefs?

Cheers, Alan.

Guest Cian
  • Topic Author
  • Hi Mala.

That dwg file contains the plans for two houses.

I need every bit of information that comes with it and some

of the dwg files i worked on had plans for over 200 houses which

would crash cinema.

It's not a big problem for me as I can use other software to model from these plans

but it would be nice to be able to open 2d dwg files in future versions of cinema.

Cian.

well i'm confused...i can open 2D dwg files...yes with your file its slow(better if software shading is used instead of open GL)

in your scene there are more than 12500 objects,try selecting all and see what the attribute manager says,for me it says only 1000 elements,so i'm guessing that theres some kinda limit being hit here..

I was suggesting a workaround by editing your dwg first, i mean, ok you have 2 houses in the file but can't you model 1 house in 1 file,then merge the 2 after modelling? i only have to turn off a few text +dimension layers and things get faster in the viewport.

hope you find a way.

mala

just noticed that if you save the file as c4d file,then re-open it,the viewport gets another speed boost