Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jamesinsincity

Adjusting Ground Level In Dynamics

• Topic Author
  • Hi all,

I have a simple animation of a cube falling on a plane. I've set up the Solver, Wind, Gravity, and the Rigid Body tags on the plane and cube to produce a nice bouncing cube effect.

Now I need to drop the plane below Y=0 to about Y= -50 ft and produce the same animation I had before, except of course that the cube has to fall another 50 ft before impact.

So I moved the plane down to Y= -50 and reset the simulation: the cube continues to bounce at Y=0 despite the fact that the plane it's suppose to be bouncing against is 50 more feet below.

Is there some way to change what dynamics sees as the ground level? I'm not even sure that's the best approach.

Any advice - greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Jim

• Topic Author
  • Nevermind - haha - I stumbled on how to do it!

Thanks anyway!

Jim

Would be nice if you posted the solution :)

Most likely an "Initialize object" command was run. You have to do this after repositioning objects. Otherwise they snap back to where they were before.

3DKiwi

• Topic Author
  • Sorry guys - you're right - I should have documented what I did - I did it rather crudely - I went to the Solver and lowered (made negative) its Y value. Then I hit the initialize object as Kiwi noted.

I like this new point cache mechanism - I was basically able to take a dynamics simulation and store (you turn on "Calculate" - and keep "Use Deformer" off). You'll see your simulation run and the memory number on the tag's attributes climb - and then it self-stops.

Now I pulled the plane and falling cube object back out of the Solver, stripped off their Rigid Body tags, and deleted everything but the plane and cube - with 1 single tag - the point cache tag (oh yeah - make sure you do the whole thing with Point Level Animation on).

So now I have the animation - which is a dynamics animation (it looks very realistic) - without any dynamics objects nor tags. For this experiment I wanted all of the action to be baked - which was done on the cube using the bake active solver command before I stripped off the dynamics operators.

The real problem was that I couldn't find a way to bake the plane object - which was deforming like ocean water from the Add The Sea tags.

The goal was to end up with the 2 objects completely baked to 1 key per 1 frame with no other operators - this I could import to Realflow and create a cool splash when the water was impacted by the cube (Realwave does this too but I didn't want to generate a stack of sequential obj's and I needed creative flexibility within C4D to make tweaks and other refinements).

To create a baked deforming ocean wave for RF - I did it the not-so-elegant way (I bought Rui's Coffee book to learn how to script things like this) - I set the animation counter to 0 and kit the keyframe button. I next moved the counter to frame 1 and did the same thing all the way to frame 180 (an easy way to get a pressure headache). Now I could delete the cache tag.

I ended up with 2 dynamic type animated objects that interact with each other - with every frame holding 1 keyframe - no deformers and no dynamics tags - way cool.

However, RF was generating the sim when it blew up - Next Limit is looking at the file for me to see what caused the Buffer Overrun error (probably way too many keys). So now I'm working on another work around.

Jim