Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rafaeljm

Lots Of Redraw Problems In 10.5 On Mac

• Topic Author
  • Hi. Since we installed 10.5 we´ve been having several redraw problems on several computers. The axis lags behind, the point selections too, and objects simply disappear from the viewport until you either move the camera or click on a menu item. Any ideas? thanks

If you are running any of the E-OGL features, try turning them off.

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime 7.2 installed?

How about the maintenance scripts and permission repairs. Have they been run after installing 10.5 or even recently?

I haven't had any redraw issues with 10.5 on OSX 10.4.10.

Cheers, Alan.

i noticed a few things like that.i'm running 10.5 on OSX 10.4.10 ,latest version of QT,With OGL turned off it seems a bit better,

most noticable at the moment with axis lag and point selection.Especially when working on a rig with a lot of bones and constraints

whats your secret Al?

maintenance scripts+permission repairs? err? what exactly are these? *hides under desk*

• Topic Author
  • well, one thing that seems to be happening is that these problems are most noticeable on systems with ATI graphics. We have a couple of nvidia systems which haven´t shown these symptoms, but´s it´s weird because these problems are ocurring with E OGL turned on and off, and even with software shading...

Especially when working on a rig with a lot of bones and constraints

whats your secret Al?

maintenance scripts+permission repairs? err? what exactly are these? *hides under desk*

Tut-Tut! Have a read through some of this. Just a quick scan for an overview and future reference.

Bookmark it, I won't be giving you a test on it. laugh.gif

Close all running applications and documents.

Open Disk Utility, select your start-up drive, hit "Repair Disk Permissions".

Download this small application: Maintenance 3.7.

Start it up and select Daily, Weekly and Monthly tasks. You can also Repair Permissions using this app.

It only need to run it once a month. There is also a short Maintenance/ Security PDF for download.

As far as lagging when using bones and constraints, try reducing the display level, eg Gourauld Shading - Off.

I have an nVidia 6600, 256MB card. It might not be 'all bells and whistles' but it handles most C4D things pretty well.

I don't have any experience with the ATI cards.

How clean and tidy is your Desktop??

No secrets but that's all I do to keep my Quad sweet and happy.

Cheers, Alan.

We don't have that optional kerfuffle on a Mac. wink.gif

Cheers Al,

well my desktops pretty tidy only a couple of things on there, i ran the permission repairs with disk utility which seemed to repair a load of stuff,

Having looked through logs in console,most of the maintenance has been running,even though i turn mac off at night,but i tend to work till 4 in the morn and they are scheduled for 03:15,have installed Anacron to take care of them now anyway..

graphics card: ATI Radeon 9650 256mb

Still no real improvement with the lags though,changing the display lines/gourad/quick shading etc...makes no difference

-if i have selected a spline object for example with model tool and then i use point mode and click on a point,the point itself is high lighted,but its not till i move the view-zoom/rotate that the axis catches up and moves to the selected point....annoying!

thanks for your help anyway

Mala

• Topic Author
  • funny, we have the same ATI card, and the same problems... coincidence?

Get a PC with an nVidia card and XP and you'll be sweet laugh.gif

Ironic that these days it's Mac users with the issues whereas PC's just work without any drama. (Not unless you have Vista of course where everything else works properly except C4D)

3DKiwi

seems like its the ATI card then,hmm thats gonna be fun...

@kiwi..I won't be moving over to the darkside any time soon,i worked on the UK launch event for Vista,a very amusing day for all the sound/light techs as none of the Microsoft techs could get their new shiny OS to work

@Pix,i'll have a look at the drive

cheers guys

Guest 3Dub

Hey Mala,

How fragmented/old is your OS hard drive? Prefs and bad fonts on Mac can also ruin your day.

pix :.

Any tips on repairing bad fonts? I dowloaded a couple of fonts and one of them seems to have overwritten one of my system fonts.

i tried using font book to resolve duplicates and that made things worse, safari, mail and address book would just refuse to run.

Any idea's?

eDub, can you not reinstall the fonts from your system disk? Pacifist, get it here: www.charlessoft.com/, lets you pick out bits and pieces of OS X installation packages.

SKP