Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Rudebwoy

C4d Cafe Phone Modelling Tutorial Question

Are you doing it in polygon mode, point mode, edge mode? And are what setting are you using on the knife tool? Loop, line?

Have you made sure that when you are using it, you have the "affect visible" checked or unckecked as desired?

Guest Rudebwoy
  • Topic Author
  • I am working in point mode here is a screen shot of my setting for the Knife tool. I try to keep in mind about the visible only box as desired. Maybe I will just scrap this one and start over. Any other suggestions?

It's a written tutorial. Looks to me as though you're doing the knife cuts with incorrect settings. In most cases the knife cut should be right through the entire object thus keeping 4 sided polygons.

You may also have overlapping polygons. Things look okay before the knife cut because you have a hypernurbs object but after the cut things turn to custard because you have cuts in places in didn't expect. So before making the cut check that your polygons aren't overlapping.

3DKiwi

Guest Rudebwoy
  • Topic Author
  • Thansk for the respones 3DKiwi, How can I tell if my polygons are overlapping. This particular model is just a cube adjusted to size by the refrence file, with 2 X segments, then one side is deleted after I make it editable, then placed into a symmerty object, then into a HyperNurbs object. How can I have overlapping polygons? I dont understand, I''m still pretty new to this

Thank you,

Rudebwoy

Guest Rudebwoy
  • Topic Author
  • is there a way to reset C4D back to all default settings?

When you use the knife tool on objects in a Hypernurbs, you should turn off Isoline editing mode (which you have got switched on), or can get in a mess like you have here (Tools->Use Isoline Editing). The Isolines do not appear where the actual cut is and vice versa. With the knife tool activated, C4D will automatically switch out of Isoline mode, but will not do so if you move points around

is there a way to reset C4D back to all default settings?

You delete the prefs folder in the c4d root folder.

Guest Rudebwoy
  • Topic Author
  • Yeah, I turned that off at my last attempt and it looks much better, but I'm still getting some weird squigley lines when I do my knife cuts. Are there any other settings that I should be aware of? Oh! and HN Cage is unchecked.

Thansk,

Rudebwoy

Guest Rudebwoy
  • Topic Author
  • Thank you very much, attached is the required files.

But this isn't the phone from my tutorial. You'll be out on your own a bit on this one. I think your mesh is too low res. You'll have more control with a few more knife cuts. There's one 3 sided polygon. Best avoided if you can.

3DKiwi