Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

paulselhi

Which Other App Would You Use

• Topic Author
  • Hmm.. i have forgotten how to post a poll so bear with me while i try an work it out..

No can't see how to do it !!

Anway if some mod could set it up the question would be

As well as C4D which other app would you like to use and why ?

Possible choices

max

lightwave

houdini

xsi

maya

EI

other

I'd like to learn XSI becasue it looks interesting and is pretty powerfull, but if i had the time to learn a differnet app it would be Maya because it's sooo widely used that it would be hard to find a studio that doesn't use it, and also there's the extremely vast amount of tuts available for maya

• Topic Author
  • yes the availablity and quality of tuts for an app are a big factor. It is all very well have a amazing product but if it is near impossible to learn then it is wasted

of course features, stability and ease of use are all very important

C4D wins on the last 2

max has great functionality but is a pig to work with..though max 2008 promises some improvements

Lightwave is very capable, but i hate the way the progarm is split to 2 apps

maya is far to complex for me !! and i think the ui is very ancient and non intuitive, its materials systems is absurdly complex

I would have to say Maya or Lightwave. I tried Lightwave about a year ago, and for some reason, I could not figure it out. I thought my knowledge of 3D was more than just an intermediate user, but apparently, I could not find where to get started. So I tried Maya, and found it easier to use. I still have Maya, buts its not installed on my mahcine right now. I would still like to try lightwave again, but seeing as C4D can do the same things as LW, im not sure if ill ever really get serious with it.

Houdini is another one that I would like to try. Ive seen some nice work done with it, and I would like to see how hard the learning curve is.

I would like to get used to several programms...

modo is one of them... it seems like it has some awesome modeling/ scultpting tools and I hope that's something we see in cinema in a future update...

other one would be maya... one specific thing I find really interesting in maya is the new paint fx...

but I'm afraid it's going to take such an amount of time to get used to... on the otherhand it has a huge amount of tutorials available...

I also find lightwave a pretty interesting app.

One thing I'm really glad of is that the use of bodypaint for big productions and lots of other things is really growing fast...

another thing that's really cool is with the use of the obj file format you can use several apps within your workflow and go from one to the other with your mesh and take advantage of specific things within a program...

the bad thing about that is that you have to learn more and more programms...

Greetz Dutch

Re polls. We don't allow members to set them up.

I would have included Modo on the list. Quite a few people say that it's very good to model with.

3DKiwi

I wanna learn z-brush!

Almost all the kewl 3d pictures out there are using z-brush at the moment.

Morph

yeah well I kind of forgot about Zbrush... I can make stuff with it but it's such a powerfull app. there's still so much to learn... but the idea of sculpting instead of 'modeling' is really one of a kind and is so much more fun...

so yeah I def. have to add Zbrush to my list... :-)

Modo and Blender. Modo because it looks such a cool app and had it been available when I first bought C4D I may have been over on the modo forums rather than here. Blender because it seems to offer just about everything and look at the price!

SKP

• Topic Author
  • i bought zbrush a long time ago but sadly i don't use it that much. mainly to add detail to models. You see though it looks great in the hands of experts it does heavily rely on you artsitic skills. And i have the artistics skills of drunken warthog

Sadly though you can make some good things with zbrush, if you cannot draw i honestly think, well in my case, that there is little chance of creating the mastepieces others seem to run off so effortlessly

take a look at my avatar .. it was supposed to be princess dianna !!

That said i have just bought a wacom so things may improve

I want to add a vote of no confidence for Zbrush and mudbox. I read recently of the 'uncanny valley' and for me just about everything I've seen from these two apps lands smack in there. Perhaps in the hands of a real artist they can be great, maybe used with subtlety, but what I see mostly leaves me cold.

SKP

• Topic Author
  • mudbox is very similar to zbrush with, some say, an easier workflow

edited my post i confused modo with mudbox !!

modo is modelling program not real animation , some fly thorough capabilities i think. I good render engine and apparntly good texturing

i think the latest version has mudbox and zbrush like capabilities