Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jamesinsincity

Rain Storm At Sea

• Topic Author
  • Hi everyone,

I need some creative ideas - have you seen the movie "The Guardian" about the US Coast Guard? I need to create some pretty wild rain at sea effects without a multi-million dollar effects budget - I'll settle for a bathroom shower if I have to scale it all down....

I have nearly finished a Clipper ship in heavy seas with a lot of Realflow spray action. I could try to cajole RF into creating the rain - but I keep thinking there's an easier way...

How about a wavy plane with streaks that the camera "shoots through" to the ship action? Kind of a composite. The raindrops hitting the ocean can be done by ATS deformers - which look really cool.

Any ideas or advice?

Thanks!

Jim

Well TP can do just about anything you want if you set it up right, but are you actually wanting like ripples and splashes when the water hits the surface?

Morph

• Topic Author
  • Hi Morph,

I'm not that ambitious yet - I just want varying visibility through the camera due to the concentration of rainfall - like bands of rain on a waving transparent flag in front of the camera...

Any ideas?

Guest dataflow

iv never done it but if you have AE im sure that has a rain effect

• Topic Author
  • Hi Dataflow,

You're right - I should approach it as a post effect - the 3D scenes are getting overloaded as it is - but I'm still tempted to map rain onto a partially transparent flag deformed plane and wave it in front of the camera...

Jim

• Topic Author
  • Hi Paul,

OK - you're a genius! - that's exactly the effect I want - how do I go about it? Does it require a PhD in fluid dynamics or meteorology?

honored!

Jim

simply place a large parerlel light in front of the camera with visible light on, set the noise up so that it is stretched on the z axixsand also moves on the z axis

• Topic Author
  • Brilliant! I'm on it now...

Thanks Paul,

Edit:

OK I created a Parallel Spot light (Parallel won't let me turn visible on) and faced it to the camera. I assume the noise is coming from the "Noise" tab of the light.

These are 2 screenshots of what I have - still no rain effect - am I missing something?

Thanks!!

Jim

Without trying it myself, I notice that the "Brightness" setting on the Noise tab is set to 0%. Might be worth tweaking.

• Topic Author
  • Hi Anthony,

You're right - I'm still trying to get my head around what Paul did exactly - I'm trying to figure out if he created that torrential rain with a light alone or was their some other factor - like particles?

When I look at his masterful video (it's DivX encoded BTW), I swear I even see the rain impacting the waves...very cool...

Jim

don't face the light at the camera, have it going across the camera from top left to bottom right

You could get the same effect with a plane in front of the camera with and animated noise texture in the transparency chanel ( this would render faster)