Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Josephus

C4d Stability

• Topic Author
  • I'm trying to decide between C4D and Modo to replace the 3D software I recently bailed on. There's a thread on the Modo forum which seems to indicate that there is a SIGNIFICANT issue with Modo crashing...this is very disconcerting. The last thing I want is an unstable program, one that may/will crash several times in the course of the day. It is one of the contributing factors why I bailed on my previous 3D package.

So far comments I've gleaned is that C4D has a reputation for being "rock solid"....any comments on C4D stability?

I have had cinema for about a year and a bit, and i have to say its one of the most stable bits of software ive come across, ive had a handful of crashes in the time ive been using it, most of them down to my own stupidty!!!

if you cant decide between the 2 cinema definatley gets a tick for stability,

what software you bailing out on?

Guest Cian

Cinema is the one of the most stable 3d packages I have ever used. When you depend on these tools

for work you can't have them crashing all the time.

I don't know much about Modo but you won't have a problem with cinema and another

great thing about cinema is it's ease of use and it's friendly users which are there to help you smile.gif

Cian.

• Topic Author
  • Bailed out of FormZ....the main issue was the lack of AR2/Mental Ray/VRay level of quality renderer (they have since significantly improved the internal LW render engine, but would probably still fall short of my expectations, also the Maxwell plug-in was not a viable daily rendering program for me...I do have 2 MW licenses I don't use). Autodessys had long promised another high-end plug-in, and it turns out that Maxwell was their solution....that really did it for me...had waited over a year for that! The other issue was the cumbersome (too time consuming) way to create the models, and the third was the way-too-often crashing....was very painful when we had deadlines to meet. Other than that, (I know this may sound incongruent), I really loved the program and the tech support...was a very difficult (almost painful) decision (after several years) to decide there just had to be something that would better fit my needs. Since my work for the last year has all been hand and Photoshop generated designs, this was a good time to migrate to ???.

I think that a significant component of C4D'd undoubted stability is it's choice of OGL over D3D. A software I used for ages used D3D and it was a crasher. The real time display was great but video card drivers were a big issue. Now that ATI finally provides Enhanced OGL (as of 10/25/2007) I'm a happy camper with the arguably one of the best 3D packages on the market.

I know one app that almost never crashes. And that App is Cinema4D. Of course C4D will crash sometimes. But after 7 or 8 years of using C4D I can tell you that C4D is a very very very stable 3D app.

Peace,

Rich_Art. wink.gif

I've been using Cinema 4D for a bunch of years now and so far it's been super stable. Just started

using MODO and I really haven't had any crashes yet?

The only crashes I get with C4D is when I try to import extremely large meshes (and I mean over 3 million polys). Can't really blame it for that. Otherwise it is rock solid. It is dependent on you having solid video drivers, though.

Yes C4D is very solid. However if you running a PC, C4D works better with XP than with Vista.

I have read that thread on the Modo forum and it gave me a good chuckle.

3DKiwi

I've used Max before and C4D is definitely more stable than that! I have only ever rarely had a crash on C4D. It has locked up a couple of times, never found out why, but it hasn't done that in a long long time! It also has one of my fave UI's, very easy to use. It always amazes me that all of the high end software for some reason has the need to make even doing the most simple thing uber complicated to achieve. C4D thankfully has none of this!

Morph

EDIT: Has anyone tried C4D with Leopard yet?

• Topic Author
  • Yes C4D is very solid. However if you running a PC, C4D works better with XP than with Vista.

I have read that thread on the Modo forum and it gave me a good chuckle.

3DKiwi

Yes, running a PC with XP...as long as I can laugh.gif

Have you looked at Modo? Any thoughts...comparisons...differences? Looks like C4D would be a good solid choice...but, ugh, that Modo sure has some appeal just looking at it....but then Maxwell did the same, and I spent $500 for nought sc042.gif

• Topic Author
  • Y'all (as they say in Tennessee) sure are an encouragement to go that route...

Since so many have helpfully responded, has anyone purchased and using VRayforC4D? I had signed up for the pre-order price thinking that C4D was going to be my most likely choice, but although the deadline to buy at the pre-release price has passed (last Monday?), perhaps I could still get it at the reduced price. If I go w/C4D, then I definitely would want VRay as that was the main reason for leaving FormZ which offered only the internal Lightworks engine and Maxwell or you could export the 3D.