Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Josephus

Moving Axis To The Bottom Of An Object

• Topic Author
  • I have just ordered C4D, and am working in demo. I will be doing arch/viz, so how do I locate the axis of an object, like a wall, to the bottom, instead of the middle of an object? Makes it a lot easier to locate the heights of walls on various levels.

Instead of moving the axis manually with the axis tool you can use the axis center option in the structure menu and place the axis -100% on the Y axis smile.gif

Guest dataflow

that depends what version of c4d you have.

it would be easier to help if you put the version in your profile smile.gif

Another way is to use the axis tool and edge snapping in a side or front view. Enable snap to edges and just drag the axis down.

3DKiwi

• Topic Author
  • Found it, thank you. Have to get used to this idea of "children". Guess I'll have to wait until the software arrives...hopefully with a user manual??

In the meantime...can not seem to be able to find the snap settings pallete.

Guest dataflow

another way of getting the snap settings is to select the "move tool" and in attributes there will be a "snap settings" tab

• Topic Author
  • that depends what version of c4d you have.

it would be easier to help if you put the version in your profile :thisrocks:

Working in v10 demo right now...licensed v10.5 will arrive later this week...will add to my profile then.

• Topic Author
  • On the cinema startup standard layout there's an axis tool on the left hand side tool bar underneath the object tool.

If the object is editable, ie. a polygon object rather than a primitive, you just select this tool and move the axis to where you want.

If you want to change the axis of a primitive object without making it editable the quickest way is to make it a child of a null object and then change the axis of the null.

Hope that helps,

Brian

Thx, figured both those out. Since I will also be doing boleans on these, which way would you recommend that I go?

• Topic Author
  • Instead of moving the axis manually with the axis tool you can use the axis center option in the structure menu and place the axis -100% on the Y axis :thisrocks:
    Can not get this to work...sounds like this would be a good option. I placed a simple cube, went to Structure>axis center, and changed the Y value to -100%. The "center" box is still checked. Pressing the execute button does nothing.
    Another way is to use the axis tool and edge snapping in a side or front view. Enable snap to edges and just drag the axis down.3DKiwi
    That would only be with an editable object right?

Guest dataflow

to change the axis the object has to first be made editable.

you can do the by select the object and clicking on the button on the left side that has the 2 vase shapes on it

• Topic Author
  • to change the axis the object has to first be made editable.

you can do the by select the object and clicking on the button on the left side that has the 2 vase shapes on it

Got it, thx.

Hi,

If you go to the MAXON web site there is a pdf manual for C4D R9.52.this should cover most of what you need as a new

user. You can find it under downloads - documentation. Hope you find it of some use

Regards Turbotoes :thisrocks: