Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest RichieB

Snapping Problems With Primitives

Guest RichieB
  • Topic Author
  • Hi there,

I'm working in C4D 8.5 and I've got a problem thats been baffling me for a while now. For some reason I can't make a primitive object (like a cube) snap to the edge of another. The only way I can get this to work is if i make the primitive editable and change the axis to the edge and snap it that way. Although I can ultimately achieve what I'm trying to do, I don't really want to make the primitive editable. Am I doing something wrong? The primitive will only seem to snap to it's centre which I can't adjust without making it a child of a null object, and even then I can't snap the axis to the edge of it's self anyway. It's almost like the only thing that is seen is the centre of the object and not it's edges. I really hope someone can make any sense of this!

cheers

Rich

Hi and welcome to the cafe :thumbsup:

Sadly the snapping in C4D leaves a lot to be desired. The only way to do it with primitives is to use the measure and construct tool. We've got a mini tutorial on using it here. You set up a measure between the 2 objects and lower the distance to make them snap together.

Hope this helps.

3DKiwi

Did not Measure and Construtt arrive with R9? Don't remember it in 8.5.

Guest RichieB
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks for welcoming me!

I don't think the 'construct and measure tool' exists in 8.5 as I can't find it. The strange thing is that I've read and gone through 'Adam Watkins Cinema 4D 8.5 handbook' on constucting rooms using 'snapping' and he describes the snapping of primitives and shows them snapped to the edges. This leads me to believe it MUST be possible. It shows screen grabs and they clearly show the primitives snapped together at edges and in the object manager you can see they are still primitives!! THIS IS STRANGE! If you could move the object axis that would solve everything but you can't!

Hey a big thanks to you guys replying on this issue.

Rich

Thanks for welcoming me!

I don't think the 'construct and measure tool' exists in 8.5 as I can't find it. The strange thing is that I've read and gone through 'Adam Watkins Cinema 4D 8.5 handbook' on constucting rooms using 'snapping' and he describes the snapping of primitives and shows them snapped to the edges. This leads me to believe it MUST be possible. It shows screen grabs and they clearly show the primitives snapped together at edges and in the object manager you can see they are still primitives!! THIS IS STRANGE! If you could move the object axis that would solve everything but you can't!

Hey a big thanks to you guys replying on this issue.

Rich

I think that the only way to snap to edges without making the object editable is to put the object in a parent null object. It really takes only a few clicks. Select your object, alt+click the null object button, select object axis tool, then move tool, turn on 2.5d snapping and tick edge. There you go, the null will snap to an edge. Then just change to model tool and move the null and it will snap to an edge of another object moving the child of the null along. That will appear like snapping primitives edge to edge.

Example file attached. Move the null a bit to the left and it will snap the spheres edge to edge. Take a look at the snap settings of the move tool.

Hope this helps.

To understand why C4D works like this you need to understand what primitives are. The don't really exist as a poly object until they are made editable. They are calculated "on the fly" for display. Thats why you can't move the axis, etc because they don't have points or edges. The method given by Terminator works because as soon as you make the primitive a child of another object, it passes data back to the parent about where its points and edges would be if it was made editable, so to speak, so you get access to those via the null object. You will notice this a lot in C4D - that a null object is used to resolve attributes, particularly in animation, about child objects. A very useful object. I use it a lot to bring the axis back to the origin, say, for rotation and copy operations, without altering the original objects.

Guest RichieB
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks very much for that! YES! It works!! The only method I mananged to figure out myself before this, was to copy and paste the primitive, make it editable snap where I wanted it, and then snap the primitive into the exact place of it. Then, finally delete the editable primitive, leaving me with the primitive in the correct position! Thanks again, problem solved, although I think primitive edges should snap to eachother and should be something that is looked at for future releases, as it would speed this type of work up a lot!!

Rich