Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest tennet

"christmas Star" - Alpha Holes Looks Weird.

Guest tennet
  • Topic Author
  • Hi again!

I was following this tutorial by Kiwi about booleans and different ways of making holes.

I'm working on this Christmas star and I'm struggling to make some nice holes in it. I thought the easiest way for this object would be to create a material using the alpha channel for the holes (as in the tutorial), but it doesn't really work?

I think my setup is as in the tut, but the displacement messes everything up. I have now tried with 9 Sub-Polygon levels for the displacement, but after a looong render it still doesn't look good... My plan is to put a volumetric light in the star later, but that might take years to render when using the displacement!?

Should I create the holes using a different method? Or are my settings wrong? Any help or tips is much appreciated.

Attached is a half rendered star plus the scene file.

Guest dataflow
  • Topic Author
  • you need to lower the displacement "subdivision level"

if the result is not what you want then subdivide the mesh

Guest tennet
  • Topic Author
  • Hi Data and thanks! I subdivided the mesh and the render runs much quicker now.

But I still don't get any holes in the star and it looks like the polygons have been extruded where the material is applied..any ideas?

Guest dataflow
  • Topic Author
  • lol

i missed that part of your question.

there are no holes because you havent applied a selection to the material without the holes.

so it is covering the holes on the other material

you need to make a "set selection" for the poly's that dont have the hole material on it and apply the selection to the star white material

Guest tennet
  • Topic Author
  • Hi Data, sorry for a late answer, but THANKS again! spoton.gif

Is there any other way to get the inside white (or in some other color)? Right now I've applied the red "hole material" with front projection and that left the inside untouched, I guess (which probably made it white by luck)!?

I tried to apply a white material with back projection, but then the holes disappeared again... Anyways, thanks for your help.

Guest dataflow
  • Topic Author
  • you need to put the holes on the inside material(but the holes need to line up with the other material holes)

when i tried it i had to invert the altha on the inside material