Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Josephus

Snapping

• Topic Author
  • Really "newbie" question. I just purchased C4D...getting acquainted. I noticed that an object snaps its object center point to whatever, a point, edge, etc. I have a sloped roof plan and want to snap the bottom edge to the top edge of the wall, how do I snap the edge (or point) on object 1 to an edge (or point) on object 2?

Thank you in advance.

Guest Knight-Templar

Have you switcehd the snapping off, you can then manually move the points or select grid or gridline. I normally move mine manually.

KT

• Topic Author
  • But then it's not "snapping" and is placed approximately (as close a visual as possible). Really want the edges of the planes to "snap" to I know it's exact....an architect "thing" I guess. Coming from the CAD world do like to build an accurate model.

Guest Knight-Templar

I know its ###### about face but could you 'add a point' to the wall then highlight the wall point and the roof point and weld them together to join them, at the wall.

I am still working my way C4d and i dont use snap too that often, maybe i should.

Guest chrishollins

Have you got the two parts connected together? The points won't snap if you have a wall and a roof object as seperate meshes. Hold down the shift key and highlight both parts, then, from the dropdown list in Objects click on 'connect'. This makes the two meshes into a new single object and the points or edges will snap together. Hide, or delete, the two old meshes.

Guest Cian

Hi Josephus.

I made a quick video demo which I hope should help you.

Cian.

• Topic Author
  • Oh wow, thanks! I'll check it out a little later.

Guest vladyn

Brilliant !!

• Topic Author
  • Cian, your quick video is great. I'm having one problem, and that I get as far as using the knife tool in the Right side window, but it is inactive, in fact almost all the structure tools are not accessible.

Also, how can I get the structure tool pallette in the bottom of the window like you show?

Your help is fantastic...so sorry I'm a bit slow getting it.

Joe

You're probably not in the right mode. e.g. to work on polygons and have the tools available you need to be in polygon mode.

3DKiwi

Guest Cian

As 3Dkiwi said above you need to be in the right mode. I was in edge mode when I made that cut.

You will find tutorials here which show you how to customize the interface.

http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/index.php?autom...s&showcat=8

Cian.

Great explanation of snapping Cian.

Your architectural DVD is going to be a real treat.

PFX