Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest vladyn

Rope Around The Belt

Guest vladyn
  • Topic Author
  • Ok I started this help belt.

at the moment I have two variants for the red, pieces - one is duplicate tube, symmetry and copy, flipped

the other one - loop polygon selection in main torus, copy - then invert and delete to get the exact profile for the piece

I'm not sure which is the right, but when get to the rope - I really get confused

how can I make the rope around the belt more realistic.

Guest chrishollins
  • Topic Author
  • I would use a Bezier spline. I have added some holes for the rope to go through and, in the top view, I added about 6 points from one hole to the next. In Hard Intrerpolation ( Structure - Edit Spline - Hard Interpolation ) add the points around the edge of the belt, then, in the Perspective View, move the points to places just above the surface if the belt. Do this in the perspective view so you can look around to see the point is placed just above the surface. Then swith to Soft Interpolation and bring in the cicle in the Sweepnurb to see what you have got. Then, using the move, scale and rotate tools, adjust the points to get the rope to lie on the surface. Then just copy and rotate the section you have made to the other 3 areas around the belt.

Sounds complicated but it's quite straightforward to do. Your next problem is making the other long rope that is usually coiled up on a hook by the belt. Good Luck.

Hi vladyn,

For the texture of the rope you can use the rope tex from T3rmin4tor, it's great, it's free (for non-commercial use), and it's in the download section :)

peace

kobi

Guest vladyn
  • Topic Author
  • Wow!

coolio!

so basically you used spline and Soft/Hard Beziers to shape the the rope around - I also started like this, but with B-splines

I see the holes, (pleases where the rope passes) that you made and attached to the belt - so thanks - more extended and cool definitely !

mi_ani29:

can you paste a link to this textures?

I did search but maybe not the right one.

Yeah - the next step is this rope indeed.

I think you should have modeled the whole thing differently. You have too many subdivisions to use hypernurbs, you don;t have any control of the mesh.

The file vladyn posted is nice but it uses booleans for the holes. That creates a messy mesh which usually doesn't work well with HN.

Anyway, if you look at the wheel you can see you can model a quarter of it and use symmetry for the rest. Thats what i did. I made a torus, set its both of the segments settings to 8 so i don't have too many polygons but enough for it to look round when rendered with HN. Then i made a few loop knife cuts to create the mesh where i would extrude the part with the holes. Then i tweaked the points along a circle spline. Then i extruded the part for the hole, used set point value to center the points so the mesh looks right. Then i did an inner extrude of the top and bottom faces of the the extruded part and bridged the polygons to form the hole. I tweaked the points so it looks good. Then i put the object in 2 symmetry objects to complete the other 3 quarters of the mesh.

For the rope, i just made a bezier spline with soft interpolation. For the points in the holes i set the values of the tangent manually so only the Y value is changed (30 and -30).

I also added my rope material and adjusted it so it will fit this rope. The length X and length Y settings needed to be adjusted according to the length of the spline. I also turned off a layer in the displacement since it looked better this way.

Hope this helps :)

Guest vladyn
  • Topic Author
  • Brilliant !!!!

I started from the scratch with this method