Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Josephus

Sweep Question

Tried to find the answers first in the help and manual..anyway, I need some help with a very basic sweep. The first image shows the path and profile, and the second the resulting sweep. I don't think that "parallel" should be on, but it really goes "wacky" when turned off. In case you're wondering what the shape is, it is a brick mould around a window frame.

..scene file, like the .c4d file? Which of the two screen shots is correct?

It is critical how you orient the splines when using the SweepNurbs.

The Frame must be drawn in the Top View ZX plane.

The Profile must be drawn in the Front View XY plane.

If you are drawing custom splines they should run anti-clockwise.

Once the complete frame has been built, it can be rotated into the correct orientation.

It is again down to the mathematics of sweeps and aligns.

HTH. Cheers, Alan.

Basic file attached.

Repeat after me: Path spline in TOP, profile in FRONT.

Alan...will check this out later...maybe tomorrow (am at work right now). I'm really going to be "owing" you, you've been a big help.

yeah, it does not look like it's going to be too hard...epscially after I look at what you posted smile.gif

Sweeps are a bit problematic in any 3D program...took me a while to get it right in FormZ. What makes it hard for a new C4D user like me is that the user manual does not give you a step by step "how to". One of the things FZ really had going for it was very helpful documentation. I am really dependent on this forum to help me get on my feet with the basics.

Guest deevee

alot of the time you will be like "oh.... is that all..."

im like that atm... getting a grip on things though and finding it really great !

Alan, your help got me going with this, makes sense to flip the contour in the plane that I want it extruded...I see it now :thumbsup:.

I think I've got enough of the basics now to get started on my first arch/viz model. Will likely have more questions as I go along.

Thank you again.

No problem. There is a lot of confusion about which axis to use when sweeping and aligning.

Regardless of the final orientation in the model, the outline spline must be drawn in the Top view and the profile in the Front.

Everyone tries to create in the final position: window frames, tyres and wheel rims etc... and end up with strange kinks and flips and take forever to fudge it with axis rotation adjustments.

I'm now up to my 8th document which will explain why it doesn't work and show how to do it properly.

Don't panic, I'm making it a geek-free explanation. :thumbsup:

Cheers, Alan. mf_bookread.gif

Thx again Alan. I did confirm all you said with a couple of "experiments". I must confess that it is a bit disconcerting to a "newbie" that something this basic to the proper operation of the modeling tools is not addressed in the manual....unless I did not look in the right place...which would not be the first time.

Oh! Come on now Joseph.

There is a whole 12 line paragraph devoted entirely to the one solution of Sweep Spline problems.

What more do you need? :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, the manual is fairly terse in its descriptions and it is up to you to extrapolate what is needed if you step away from the absolute basics.

Which is sweep and which is profile/ contour, and which sweep is swept along which??? mur.gif

The manual has never been an "If you do this instead of that..." guide.

It would require a volume collection like Encyclopaedia Brittanica to cover everything.

Glad to see that you are at least trying to find stuff in the manual. spoton.gif

Cheers, Alan.