Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Josephus

Sweep Question

The documentation does cover it (sort of) under "Sweep object" but probably not that clearly for a beginner.

The biggest problem with the C4D manual / documentation is it's more of a reference than actually doing things. Plus you actually have to know what to search for. Not that easy if you're unfamiliar with all of the correct C4D terms. But that's where the Cafe and other forums come in.

3DKiwi

The most confusing thing for a beginner about the sweep object is that it works with axes rather than the visual orientation of the profile. It always sweeps the profiles Z-Axis along the path. The X & Y axes are dealt with according to the options set. When we start with C4D and the sweep looks wrong, we start rotating the object itself and scratch our heads when nothing seems to change! It is the profiles axis in relation to the profile itself that has to be rotated and this is not clear in the help. As Alan says, the profile is best drawn in the top view as this will align the Z-Axis in the way that you probably want. The other trap is using a spline primitive such as a circle or a rectangle as profile - these have to be made editable before you can rotate the axis.

Alan, I'm using the v9.5 manual...what page on the pdf is that "one solution"? I really am trying to find the answers first in what I have available, like the manuals, on-line help, and the forum posts. Well, as far as I'm concerned, y'all (as they say in Tennessee) are indispensable to us new to the program...hope MAXON appreciates that.

Hi Joseph,

I was refering to the 10.5 online Help.

Just search "Sweep Object" and at the bottom of the page is a paragraph on trouble-shooting using a Rail Spline.

The controls for Banking & Rotation in 10.5 allow for similar cures with 3D splines, depending on complexity.

Keep hold of the 9.5 manuals, there is still a lot of relevant core information. mf_bookread.gif

Cheers, Alan.

Repeat after me: Path spline in TOP, profile in FRONT.