• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Josephus

Another Basic "how To" - Extrude A Profile

• Topic Author
  • Thank you all for your help with my previous "how to sweep" post...works really great now that I'm past the abc's of this :signthankspin:

Another simple one that I can not figure out, actually is very easy to do in a 3D CAD program, but want to know how to do this in C4D. I need to "draw" a plane/profile which includes straight and curved segments (see attachment), then I will want to extrude it to give it some thickness. I feel rather dumb that I can't find it mf_bookread.gif

Guest SteezKraka

well If I'm understanding your problem right, I think you want to create the outline with a spline, then you just drag simply under an extrude nurb.

Hope this helped :signthankspin:

Nate

Ditto that. Just trace around with a bezier spline. Here's it done for you. Our "Internediate modelling tutorial shows how to trace objects with splines.

3DKiwi

• Topic Author
  • Amazingly quick replies!!!!! Extrude NURBS...easy enough, just did one. 3DKiwi, will check out the tutorial. :signthankspin:

• Topic Author
  • 3DKiwi...what's the best way on a PC to watch your .swf tutorials? I would REALLY like to be able to pause the video while I'm following the steps in C4D.

Masterpieces, for sure :signthankspin: Well....although at my age (almost 60!) I SHOULD be creating masterpieces, I would be content to create something very beautiful, if not actually a masterpiece...I still have VRayforC4D to learn after I've learned to model in C4D, but I'm content to learn a little each day.

Guest dataflow

you can watch the tutotials using your browser

(dont open the swf file you need to open the html file)

Yup open the html file not the swf file.

I think doing 3D when I'm in my sixties and older will be a great way to fill in my retirement. There's a number of our members here who I know are a little older doing some very good stuff and have only taken up 3D in the last few years.

3DKiwi

Like me!!!...................oh wait, I'm still a teen..............*walks away*

Good luck with c4d. thumb_yello.gif

I recommend you turn around....immediately if possible.....

• Topic Author
  • Yes, I was opening the swf file with my browser, the html file works just way I need.

I'm thinking that way too...doing 3D arch/viz after I "retire" as a full time architect. As long as I don't go blind or get crippled with some form of arthritis, might be able to do it for some time wink.gif

Maybe I should post (a somewhat late) intro separately.

Cheer up, Josephus. You're not the only grey-hair around here. I'm older than you and there are others older again. Also, if you are coming from a CAD background you have a lot of things to learn to do differently.

SKP

I may not be good but I'm slow.

• Topic Author
  • Hello fellow grey hair. The architectural profession is one of the few where grey hair is considered an asset thisrocks.gif It's an interesting (and new for me) experience to work on a design team (of maybe 25 or so) where most of the designers/CAD techs are in their early thirties. I can remember so vividly when I was "there"....like yesterday, the time has flown by. I guess that means that the years have been good and very full, which indeed they have.

It sure is true that knowing one program does not necessarily help much with learning another, we learned that when we switched from Autocad to Archicad, ugh!. My FormZ experience is only of very limited help with learning C4D. It's start at the bottom (again) with the basics, fortunately it does not feel overwhelming. Must admit that the thought of having to learn another 3D program kept me from switching years ago, but am very glad that I did.

Cheers :signthankspin: