Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Josephus

Intro...a Bit Late...

Greetings all...I'm new to C4D, but have already received great help from y'all (as they say here in Tennessee, USA). Although a California architect with now close to 40 yrs experience ( :signthankspin: ), I'm currently working as a senior (like 3 mos left before the big "60") designer with a traditional development firm in Nashville. The designers all do the design work with hand sketches and Photoshop (see attached) and then the CAD team puts them into (3D) Archicad (just switched over from Autocad). The renderings are still done by hand by an in-house graphic designer. I would like very much to show them what we could be doing with C4D (which interfaces well with Archicad).

I started using CAD in the late eighties, and fiddled a little with 3D over the years. It seemed too time consuming and with tight design budgets could not justify going very far with it. About seven years ago I purchased FormZ which I had admired since its beginning and started using it some for our arch/viz when I had my own architectural design studio (a couple of examples below). The lack of a VRay, Mental Ray, or AR render engine for FormZ is probably the main reason we decided to "jump ship". I know that we could have done more with the FormZ renderings but then the time to introduce numerous lights and make a multitude of adjustments would become a real time killer...as it was it took too long to get these done. Time is a really big issue if you want to earn more than $10/hour. There were some other issues, but don't need to post those here. Anyway, especially when the company I now work for switched to Archicad, and then VRayforC4D came out almost the same time, it seemed like C4D plus VRay would be perfect for my needs. I was told that C4D is easy to learn (one of the easiest 3D programs), is rock-solid (no crashing sc018.gif , and that with VRay being a very fast render engine being used by many of the arch/viz pros, that made my choice easy.

With the help I've already received here with some basic modeling skills, I'm ready to start my first model...will post a WIP when I get that done...may take a while since I'm working on this maybe an hour a day.

Good luck with your project sc018.gif , Cian was working on a tut for cad integration in c4d , might wanna check that if it's out ;)

I've seen the posts re Cian's work on a tut DVD and will want to purchase a copy spoton.gif

Hi Joseph.

Welcome to the Ol' Grey-hairs section. wink.gif

Looking forward to seeing your project develop. I think you will be able to show the 'pups' a thing or two.

Cheers, Alan.

Repeat after me: Path spline in TOP, profile in FRONT.

Guest Damsel

Welcome Josephus! Nice to have you here and your work is wonderful!